Saying hi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying hi

I'm a newbie here and at welding for the most part.
    I've been mig welding our own farm equipment for about 4 years, I'm in the market for a welder generator. Local shop has a 225 bobcat with 300 hours for $2k. I'm on a budget being a dairy farmer, I've also purchased a service truck and plan on doing some side wrenching/ welding. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

That machine sounds like it could be a good deal for you as long as it has been kept up decent.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Back on the farm, I didn't even know there was such an animal as a mig welder. As far as I knew there was only 6011, or whatever rod was laying around the machine shed.

Comment

Welcome, Farmerstinky. Planning on stick welding with the Bobcat, or are you going to hook up a wire feeder? Or use it to power your existing MIG welder?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
          Welcome, Farmerstinky. Planning on stick welding with the Bobcat, or are you going to hook up a wire feeder? Or use it to power your existing MIG welder?
          All of the above, (won't have a wire feed right away), my mig is a millermatic 180.. eventually id like to get a plasma cutter also. A hypertherm 45.
          Last edited by Farmerstinky; 12-28-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            Back on the farm, I didn't even know there was such an animal as a mig welder. As far as I knew there was only 6011, or whatever rod was laying around the machine shed.
            I've only stick welded a few times

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I burned rods for many of years before even knowing about much less burning wire. The bobcat should serve you well if kept up with maintenace and in good condition.
              A FEW OF MY TOYS !!!

MX Linux
              LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
              Lincoln Weldpak 100
              Gianttech Arc 200
              Victor O/A

Comment

Originally posted by Farmerstinky View Post

All of the above, (won't have a wire feed right away), my mig is a millermatic 180.. eventually id like to get a plasma cutter also. A hypertherm 45.
                Get that Powermax 45 as soon as you can. Someone here described it as "puts a smile on my face every time I use it." That's my thought exactly. I cannot believe how well that thing works. From 22ga aluminum to 5/16 steel plate and everything in between, it is just amazing. And cutting expanded metal with the special mode for that function is fantastic. You will love it, and wonder how you did without it.

Comment

Got it home

Comment

Looks good. Let us know how it welds.

Comment

Nice score. First thing I would do is open that sucker up and blow out all the crud/dust/dirt/grime that inevitably builds up.
                      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

And make sure it has the right oil in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                          And make sure it has the right oil in it.
                          Which is? no manual with it

Comment

Use the serial number HERE to get the manual
                            Richard

Comment

There was a long thread some time back about the proper oils to use in those air cooled engines. The gist of it was using regular old car engine oil does not have the proper additives, like zinc, to protect the internal components of that welder's engine. There was a list of classifications that was laid out to help determine the correct oils that can be used. That thread had some really good info in it too, so maybe one of the computer literate fellers can find that link.

I use valvoline VR1 30wt racing oil in all my small engines. It's supposed to have all the right additives since it's not made for on road driven cars and it's readily available at my local parts store. The only exception is my Onan genset in my RV, I use the Onan oil for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X