Mag Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
    Ya. I've drilled lots of holes in heavy plate and have never removed mill scale purposely prior to drilling.
    Me either, once 360 on 1/2 plate

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
      I borrowed an old Milwaukee 4297 a few months ago from a friend who has a fab shop that makes pope beveling machines, it was big and bad and worked like a champ. Can't speak for the new ones.

I have a hougen 904 and it's a solid machine. I wish I had spent a few more dollars and got the 904S...has a swivel base.

Another friend of mine has a dewalt, no idea the model, and he loves it. He borrowed my hougen once, that was before he got the dewalt. He said he likes the dewalt better. I think he's a jerk.
      Sounds one of those "my stuff is better than yours" kinda guys. Maybe he has little man syndrome?
      Dynasty 400 Wireless
      Coolmate 3.5
      Aerowave loaded with Sequencer and pulse
      ​Watermate 1A
      ​Coolmate 3
      XMT350 CC/CV
      D74DX Feeder double the fun
      Optima Pulse Pendant
      WC24
      30A spoolgun
      Neverlast 100 amp plasma with Hyper Duramax torch
      Avortec 280 mig
      GO CNC Poweredge CC/CV pulse and double pulse
      Harris Old school 2 stage Oxy/Ace
      Victor flow meters
      Flametech Duel flowmeters
      Just a hilljack in the woods with fancy welding equipment
      and a pet Raccoon.

Comment

Maybe, but I think he's just jealous that mine is a bad mammerjammer and his is yellow.

Comment

Well since this is a welding web site thought I might put some welding in here. After drilling those hole its time for the base plates and caps to get welded. Had one of my kids here make a jig to align the base plates. Really funny watching the smoke come out of his ears, after a short time of heavy thinking he came up with a nice little jig that works great. As of today we have 12 poles done and inspected. We are using .045 flux core and 3 passes to get the 3/8" weld required.

Comment

I don't want any surprises, so I check the size of the weld after the second and third pass to be sure it's right. Pic #4 is the cap

Comment

looks real good, always glad to see a project being finished and done right, and a happy customer
              Richard
              West coast of Florida

Comment

A quick tip for aligning your base plates. The Ironworkers use a technique called marking centres. With a sharp soap stone, mark centre lines on your columns or posts, then mark centre lines on your base plates, align the centre lines with one another (all 4 sides), tack and weld.
                Lincoln Idealarc 250
                Miller Bobcat 250
                Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                Torchmate CNC table

Comment

That is a great tip for aligning parts to each other we use it a lot around here but with so many parts we made jig (time well spent) and I don't need to mark anything just clamp and go. I do double check that the plates are square with the tube with a level. So far they have all been dead on. Jig is doing its job.

Comment

Working...
                  X