Welding 304 Tubing to 304 Castings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding 304 Tubing to 304 Castings

Might be obvious, but I'm going to weld TIG some 304 0.120" Wall tubing with an insert that the tubing fits over. I contacted the manufacture of the insert and they said it was made of investment cast 304 Stainless which sounds good for compatibility. My question is... Can I use 308 Stainless Filler or should I use 309?

Just want to double check before I hit the pedal.

Thanks
    Sandy
    Millermatic Pulser
    Dynasty 200DX
    Spectrum 625
    Multimatic 215

Comment

Thanks for the quick and simple response!!

Sandy
      Millermatic Pulser
      Dynasty 200DX
      Spectrum 625
      Multimatic 215

Comment

Sorry man...you could do it with 309 and it would probably be fine, but it's not necessary. 309 was born to join stainless steel and carbon steel. It's more expensive too. Joining 304 to 304 is meaning of life for 308.

Comment

No worries Ryan, I have some 308 filler and no 309 so works out the best, might still be good to get a small stash of 309 as I could see that being very useful for another project.

Again thanks for super quick reply!

Sandy
          Millermatic Pulser
          Dynasty 200DX
          Spectrum 625
          Multimatic 215

Comment

A lot of my work is on old junky junk, so 309 is a must have. I use it as crutch when welding carbon steel or steels I'm unsure of. If you're ever tig welding along on a repair and start having your weld puddle boil like a witches' brew, dab a little 309 in there and watch the puddle go smooth as glass. An old weldor taught me that and it has likely been one of the single most used bits of welding advice I've ever been given. You will not find my shop out of 309 tig rod. Not happenin'. It costs me more, but I also don't have to worry about porosity problems on other than clean metal. And since many repairs are difficult to get tig clean, it saves me time and aggravation.

Comment

Been using 309 on 4130 tube chassis for years.......no purge or pre or post heating...depending on Cert......SFI does regulate that much more closely on the T/F & Funny car chassis.

Comment

That's a good use for it for sure. Especially if the fit up isn't perfect and you end up sucking some crud from the back side of a full pen weld or you're up in one of those tight angles and the argon coverage is diminished. Do you dress up the inside of the tubes too? Get the mill scale off and stuff?

Comment

I know I do.
                  We prep things here stupid crazy.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and comments, now back to un-sticking the tungsten and grinding, rinse and repeat as they say
                    Millermatic Pulser
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Spectrum 625
                    Multimatic 215

Comment

Sand clean , emery cloth the joint back a 1/2" from the weld zone and a final buff with a stainless brush.........make sure the inside is also void of any debris or contamination , good joint fit is imperative .........lacquer thinner the joint and weld away.........can't be too clean.......if it's a closed end , needs a vent hole.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                        Sand clean , emery cloth the joint back a 1/2" from the weld zone and a final buff with a stainless brush.........make sure the inside is also void of any debris or contamination , good joint fit is imperative .........lacquer thinner the joint and weld away.........can't be too clean.......if it's a closed end , needs a vent hole.
                        Totally forgot about drilling a small hole. It will be sealed when the 2 ends get capped. THANKS!

Sandy
                        Millermatic Pulser
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Spectrum 625
                        Multimatic 215

Comment

Working...
                        X