What Welder for Rig Truck?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Welder for Rig Truck?

Hey guys, I’m looking to setup a rig truck for chasing drilling rigs. I’m looking for a new machine and am wondering what would be best. I’d like to just get a ranger 305 or something around that size so I have plenty of weight left on my truck. I’ve heard though that for pipeline work they won’t let you use anything that small. Will that apply to working on drilling rigs as well or can I use a smaller ranger or trailblazer and be fine?

Big blue 400 or a vantage 300
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Originally posted by Ethanlogan1999 View Post
      ... I’d like to just get a ranger 305 or something around that size so I have plenty of weight left on my truck. I’ve heard though that for pipeline work they won’t let you use anything that small. ...
      Well, WHERE did you hear that, and in what part of the country are you? These are regional questions. As for weighing down the truck, it kinda sorta depends on WHAT TRUCK YOU HAVE,.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Well, WHERE did you hear that, and in what part of the country are you? These are regional questions. As for weighing down the truck, it kinda sorta depends on WHAT TRUCK YOU HAVE,.
        I heard it from a guy at votech, not sure where he heard it he just said he was looking for a machine and he was told that smaller engine drives aren’t really acceptable for pipeline work.
        Coming from Oklahoma by the way.
        As far as a truck goes I’ve got a 3/4 ton Chevy.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Exactly, he's asking the wrong people,lol.

Ethanlogan1999, what good would it do you if we gave you a recommendation, and we all agreed on it, as in every single person who read and replied to this thread, only to find out when you get out to look for work that the recommendation we all gave you is not allowed for the specific work you do? Wouldn't do you much good now would it? You need to talk to the people who would potentially interview/hire you.
          HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
          HTP Inverarc 200 TLP (just added, new!)
          Millermatic 211 inverter
          Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

I'm going to suggest you google pipeline welding rigs, look at images and see what's on the back of most of those trucks. I remember advice of not bringing a knife to a gun fight. Along those lines you might have to think about why a small gas drive isn't what they want on most sites, or found on the back of a rig doing that kind of work. Not saying one on the back of your truck won't find you work, just will it do it all day, every day to the demands placed on it for service?

Comment

It's always good to buy one size up for what you think you'll need. That way you're not working at the peak of your capabilities and have some oomf left on the occasion(s) you need to do something heavier.

I'm not a pipeliner, but I know a couple. Those guys are all about those big old lincoln watcha call-ems. That seems to be the standard, so might be a good idea to follow suit.

Some of those machines are pretty tricked out too.

Comment

Ryan is right. Always get a bigger unit than you think you will need. I do hobbyist work in a home shop. I started with a syncrowave 200, a 225 tombstone and a 252 mig. It's all been replaced twice with bigger equipment.
                DYNASTY 400 now wireless
                Coolmate 3.5
                Sw320 speedway
                Ck flex lock 230
                2 torch buttons
                A$$ loads of tungsten
                XMT 350 CC/CV
                S74DX feeder
                Stick leads from here to China
                A30 Spool gun that just sits there
                Spectrum 875
                ESAB SENTINEL
                Old school Fibermetal
                Acer Ultima Knee mill
                Mazak lathe
                Cincinnati lathe
                Quincy 340 hp and 400 gallons of air
                Homemade wood burner
                A few other cool doodads and a pet Raccoon

Comment

This post may hurt your feelings, but.....better now than after the fact. If you are actually from Oklahoma then REAL welding rigs have been circling you your whole life!! Don't talk yourself into believing what you think makes better sense. The oil business knows EXACTLY who and what they need.
                  You are way ahead to show up with an old used big Lincoln than a new smaller lighter Miller engine drive.
                  You are also better off to have a newer diesel one ton. With a welding bed actually. The machine that they wanna see takes up most of the bed of a normal pickup and the bed makes it hard to access most of your equipment easily.
                  Lots of guys out there who have tons of experience and the right equipment. Too many newbies have showed up with little machines with what are basically lawn mower engines on them....only to break down and hold up the entire program, which is both producing oil and causing people to change schedules. Asking too many dumb questions and you'll be lucky to even strike an arc.
                  All it does is expose inexperience. Chances are if you have everything you need you will still have to know someone to get your foot in the door. That's worth more than anything.
                  You need a Badass truck and a Badass welder to get the work reserved for Badass Weldors

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Pretty much what FusionKing said. I've been pressure for 12 years and still haven't been on pipeline.(never tried very hard tho) Its a lot who you know not what you know. I have a trailblazer 325 and a lot of guys in alberta run rangers but they are kind of laughed at buy the hardcore rig welders haha. Never had a problem with my machine though. On pipeline they are deffinetly frowned upon. That doesn't mean no ones ever ran one on pipeline, but you will be taken a lot more seriously with a "serious" welder. Lincoln classic 300s are probably one of the more common machines on a pipeline rig

Comment

Most of the rigs in Alberta oil country are 305G'a, tuned and correct oil, they are fantastic. Problem is that few tune them or even put the correct oil in them. oil MUST be a diesel rated oil, preferably 0-40 Rotella in the winter, with a good 4 stroke motorcycle oil in the summer. I've been slowing the oil flow down and using a Perkins PH2835 oil filter. the engines MUST be set at 62.5 HZ ( set at the governor arm gland nuts, high idle no load) Now there is NO phousphorus nor zinc in Auto oil, might as well put sand in your engine for all the good auto oil will do you. The kohler kits are equally bad. While Champion plugs are good, they tend to loosen off , Best to use NGK BKR5E

Comment

Now the Vantage lineup is ok, with the exception of the V400 2012 and early 2013 units, just a bad couple of years. Both the Kubota 300 and Perkins 400 MUST be set at 61.8 hz. Says 63 in the book for the 300, don't follow that setting.

For Miller, I recommend the Miller Pro 400, hands down the best machine, Id buy it before I'd EVER think about buying a new Lincoln
                        Last edited by cruizer; 12-15-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

And there you have it!!
                          The latest advice from the best repair guy in the main section of the oil industry.
                          (With over 8000 posts and only 2 bars)

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I'm telling you guys, the bars are a rating of how pretty you are...

Comment

Whats a "Bar", have to remember that I do facebook Way more than anything here. Really while I scan the problems, I rarely answer them. Instead people send private messages.

Comment

Working...
                              X