No announcement yet.

gas mixer

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gas mixer

    What is a good pressure regulator to use on the tank for the Miller AR/CO2 mixer? Input pressure is supposed to be 150 PSI.
    Can an old flow meter be converted by switching the flow gage to a pressure gage?

  • #2
    I see two questions.

    My answer to the first is, buy the one you can afford that meets the service requirements of reducing a high cylinder pressure to a reduced working pressure accurately and safely. Name brand is usually better then off shore reproduction but there are plenty of companies supplying product to do it.

    As to the second question, I'd say "NO" because you mention flow meter. I'm not sure what you have to play with so I'd avoid any notions of saying the opposite for advice, because that easy advice is sketchy and possibly dangerous.
    There is however a maybe?
    Unless you have a regulator flow meter combination, which then has allowances for adjustment of high to low pressure, although reading a flow setting rather then built pressure, then you might be able to just switch out the low flow gauge to a low pressure gauge. That however still comes with sketchy.

    Hard to say however the adjustment of the regulator? It could be limited due to design on the pressure it might adjust for?

    Best answer is buy a regulator designed to provide the service at a price you can afford.


    • #3
      Thanks, I have one of these, wasn’t sure how they work internally, but was thinking of putting a pressure gage on the left if it would work


      • #4
        The following is second hand information that shouldn't be taken as fact in any way, shape or form.
        I'm told 8 psi gas pressure equates out to around 30 cfh in flow? Does it? I don't know?
        Thinking in reverse, you could change out the gauge, and even with the adjusting screw in to the max, still not get the 150 psi you require. Regulator design limits. My advice, trade it off and buy what you require, which in essence would be like the oxygen gauge, but with a different end, possibly internal changes as well to the regulator body due to the type of gas designed to flow through it?

        That by the way is a Acetylene gas regulator not a flow meter? What's up with that I ask you?


        • #5
          that is a picture I downloaded off the Internet, to show the way the flow regulator looks. I was not able to find a picture of my regulator. Sounds like a lot of unknowns involved here, So my flow meter will sit on the shelf, and maybe get used sometime in the future. In the meantime I’ll be looking for suitable pressure regulators


          • #6
            Flow gauges work because they use a very specific orifice size inside. They are really just pressure regulators. But the math has been done for you, and the dial shows the flow through that specific orifice size instead of the pressure that is pushing it through the orifice. You can't just replace the gauge. The orifice will be a restriction, and you won't know your flow.

            A real flowmeter has a floating ball that rides the flow. No math needed. More accurate. But how accurate do you need? Do you really need to know the exact number, or do you just turn the pressure to the setting that causes no porosity?