No announcement yet.

Cutting advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a bandsaw, chopsaw and a porta-band, The band saw is yhe better way to go. The down side are they are slower and I always have to move it around to store or use it. The porta-band is my next choise. It is quick and easy but your arms can get tired if you have a lot of cuts and you have to pay attention to get a square cut. I bought my chop saw because I thought It would be fast. It is but it is also loud, messy and throws a ton of sparks. It also requires more deburr.

Kelly

Comment

Went with a Jet

Thanks for all the input on cutting options. I ended up going with the JET HVBS-56M 5"x6" horizontal bandsaw. I found it at a local dealer for $260, which was only $60 more than a Dewalt chopsaw at Lowes. Assembly was straightforward, although the handle I received was not wide enough for the holes in the base. Easily remedied with a cordless drill, but kind of silly (talk about not matching tolerances).

The JET is actually a pretty nice machine, with the understanding that it doesn't have the speed or power to muscle through lots of thick stock. I love Bulldog's Turn-Pro, but can't justify a machine that nice for the limited use I'll dish out. However, for a home shop the JET looks like it will do the trick. I did some test cuts on 0.125 thick 1"x3" square tubing, and it made nice square cuts right after setup. And as Hankj mentioned, a trashcan under the saw catches all the filings, so cleanup is easy.

Comment

It'll cut anything within it's rating. I've cut 8" wide .250 flat bar by flipping it over once the bow bottoms out and lining it up with the blade and cutting through the last 2"! I think you'll be happy with waht it can do.

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Thanks for all the input on cutting options. I ended up going with the JET HVBS-56M 5"x6" horizontal bandsaw.
          Nice choice, I have the same modle and it works very well. It's nice to start a cut and walk away. It's a reasonable price to pay for a saw that cuts very well.

Comment

As PaulyFab did, I use the Harbour freight band saw. And as he stated the belt guard isn't much and the legs are a wobbley el cheapo deluxe setup, but a few minutes with the saw, some iron, my MM210 and a little thought and that situation can be remedied including raising up the bed up a little higher for us "American" folk....

MM210 w/3035 Spooler
            Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy

TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
            Miller Spectrum 125C
            Victor O/A
            Parker Plasma 40

Comment

Originally posted by lgjhn
              As PaulyFab did, I use the Harbour freight band saw. And as he stated the belt guard isn't much and the legs are a wobbley el cheapo deluxe setup, but a few minutes with the saw, some iron, my MM210 and a little thought and that situation can be remedied including raising up the bed up a little higher for us "American" folk....
              Ya, know if you look at the castings of the Jet and the chepo import thay are exatly the same. A frend of mine did exatly what you did, made a custom stand that was much sturdyer, higher and had a catch tray for chips. I have been uneasy about purchacing things from harbor fraight, I have been dissapointed, but that saw for the money is a great product. If I had'nt used one myself I would be sceptical. Don't get me wrong I like my Jet, but if your on a tight budget and need a saw it's somthing to look at.

Comment

You're right PaulyFab.....The bed and saw setup on the Harbour Freight model looks identical to the Jet....kinda makes you wonder about that stuff.
                I've cut some cold-rolled round stock, some angle iron and flat stock with it. It's a little slow on the real hard stuff but seems to cut pretty square and gets the job done. It's definitely not a production shop saw, but for occasional use, it is more than adequate. I'm going to cut some square tubing to fab up some sub-frame connectors for one of my old cars and it should work fine for that kind of stuff.
                I just got to come up with some better roll--around wheels on by home-made stand for it....just haven't had time yet.

MM210 w/3035 Spooler
                Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy

TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
                Miller Spectrum 125C
                Victor O/A
                Parker Plasma 40

Comment

Working...
                X