Miller 180SD Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 180SD Problem

My Miller 180SD was working ok when I last used it about 4 months ago welding 1/4” steel. Yesterday, attempting 1/16” stainless, DCEN @ as low as 10 amps, I was experiencing an “explosive” arc start blasting a hole thru the workpiece and even sometimes melting the collet body and heating the ceramic cup to a red. The torch had been thoroughly purged. This occurred even with no pedal.

Argon tank pressure was low, +/- 300 psi, but I was getting good flow and post flow @ 20 cfm with a floating ball single stage regulator.

Behavior was as if the gas wasn’t turned on or even mistakenly connected to O2.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on?

I think I can give you a good Idea of what is going on:

Firstly, let me relay back to you my understanding of the situation before I get too deep:

Your Syncrowave 180 SD was welding just fine last you used it, 4 months prior, and now the welding output is not reflecting where you have the amperage range you have it set to, resulting in uncontrolled output, regardless of if you are using the Remote (pedal) or local control. Correct?

I also would like to start with this, if you ever have issues with miller welding equipment, always list the full model name and serial number, for us tech types to best help you.

OKAY!!! Now to the meaty bit of the conversation, so I am a welding repair technician and in my experiences, this to me points to a feedback issue, or a command issue. Translation: The potentiometer that you set, the amperage at could be failing (which would be the command), OR you could be having an issue with the amperage clamp on the inside of the machine that is called a hall device, or a LEM (this is part of the feedback circuit). When the feedback circuit has a failure it is not uncommon for the output of the welder to be 100%. Based on you melting collet body's, blowing holes through the material and so on, this issue screams Hall device. If I were you, to save myself some moolah and to do this on my own time I would call millers technical help line (920) 735 4505 EXT 3, then tell the lady you need to talk to a technician on a Syncrowave 180 SD. Have your serial number ready.

- Wolverine

Comment

The 180 SD relies on the foot/hand control (command) signal for TIG arc initiation and amperage control whereas the "local" adjustment simply controls or limits the maximum output to its setting.

That said, a failed sensing hall device is a very common issue with this series as LoganClayton stated that exhibits the symptoms you've described. Miller Customer Service can walk you thru testing the hall device and any other troubleshooting that may be needed again as LoganClayton indicated.
      MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
      Syncrowave 180 SD
      Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
      *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
      *HF-251D-1
      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
      PakMaster 100XL
      Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
      http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
        The 180 SD relies on the foot/hand control (command) signal for TIG arc initiation and amperage control whereas the "local" adjustment simply controls or limits the maximum output to its setting.

That said, a failed sensing hall device is a very common issue with this series as LoganClayton stated that exhibits the symptoms you've described. Miller Customer Service can walk you thru testing the hall device and any other troubleshooting that may be needed again as LoganClayton indicated.
        Feel Free to call me Wolverine Duane, It's a nickname I have acquired not by my own choosing but hey, if you can't beat em, join em.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wolverine-crouching.adapt.945.1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	592984 daada

And yes... this is my happy face.

Comment

That guy there needs either a beer or a cup of coffee, depending on the time of day the picture was taken.

Comment

DANG!! You're a scary lookin' feller!
            MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
            *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
            *HF-251D-1
            *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
            PakMaster 100XL
            Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
            http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Nah man, them there fury critters are totally tame. Next time you see one you should try to pet it.

Comment

Working...
              X