Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Mig

Hi everyone!
    I just purchased a new Miller Dynasty 280. I have the suitcase mig to go with it which works great. Just wondering what kind of gun I need to mig weld up to 3/8” aluminum. Is there something that works good with the dynasty? Thanks!!

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...0166#resources

Hope it helps.

Comment

Motoringmike,

Did you watch the Miller video under the Resource section of the above link that talks about welding aluminum?

Also, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am wondering how you like that machine? The reason I ask is because I am looking at getting that same machine.

FF

Comment

Fishingeind the machine works great! Pricey but you can weld anything. I bought the 12vs suitcase mig setup as well. Works perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Motoringmike View Post
          Hi everyone!
          I just purchased a new Miller Dynasty 280. I have the suitcase mig to go with it which works great. Just wondering what kind of gun I need to mig weld up to 3/8” aluminum. Is there something that works good with the dynasty? Thanks!!
          What gun do you have now and how long is it?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

It’s a Bernard gun with about a 15’ whip. Whatever is standard with the 12vs suitcase. I’m pretty sure I’ll just have a big bird nest if I try to push aluminum wire through it. Just seeing what other people are using for aluminum mig with the Dynasty and suitcase combination.

Comment

Aluminum wire feed welding requires a spool gun of some sort, popular units are spoolmate 30A, XR alumapro, or off brand spool guns. Basically with a 12VS OR the Dynasty 280 you will not be able to run a spool gun off of either. What you need to do, in my opinion, is to try to figure out if it's even an option for your setup, otherwise you will be stuck with Tig for aluminum. One thing that could be possible is using an XR control box, powered up by the Dynasty 280, and then using a XR push pull gun off of the XR control box. The only issue would be figuring out if the XR xontrol box can even be used on that dynasty 280 DX. This question is probably best answered by a miller tech. Call miller @ 920-735-4505 EXT 3, ask the lady to speak to a technician on a dynasty 280 and see if it's even an accessory option for your setup.

Be sure to tell Boon or Jeff Johnson Logan Sent you :P

- Wolverine

Comment

I don't have a set up like you have, but I can push 3/64ths 5356 using my MM250 without a problem. I took an old gun and whip, cut it down, went up a size in liner and sling some aluminum mig wire down like a bad dog. Just keep the gun as straight as possible and it's fine. Works great in fact. I use .047 drive wheels and .054 tips.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  I don't have a set up like you have, but I can push 3/64ths 5356 using my MM250 without a problem. I took an old gun and whip, cut it down, went up a size in liner and sling some aluminum mig wire down like a bad dog. Just keep the gun as straight as possible and it's fine. Works great in fact. I use .047 drive wheels and .054 tips.
                  Dang ….. You beat me to it!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                  X