iphones and Helium Allergy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iphones and Helium Allergy

Just read about a really strange issue--iphone 5 and above are allergic to helium! Link below. I doubt that welding would put enough in the air to cause this, but is definitely an off-the-wall occurrence!

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...dical-facility

That's interesting stuff. And that was a lot of Helium released? Makes you wonder, was anyone sounding funny with that much in the air that it would mess with the iphones?

Comment

Hmmm....ain't that a kick in the pants.

Comment

Seems like Apple didn't seal their chips properly.
        Does hermetic seal mean "helium proof" ?

How about Duct tape, Gorilla glue, Elmers, Crazy glue, (as seen on TV)

I don't use helium (only argon) but I can provide an iphone 5 to someone
        who has access to helium to test this theory.

The article mentions that the iphone 6 and later are affected so mine may
        not be much help but I am willing to try.

Lock your doors - helium is knocking................................
        Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

I have a bottle of helium. I can feel my phone trying to get at it, like a crackhead...it needs a hit....

Comment

And then read the very next article about how they say to keep your old phone, but lobby for laws that keep you from refurbishing them.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

A law to keep me from refurbishing my old phone? Sounds like a good use of our "law makers'" time and use of my tax dollars. What's next? No more retreaded tires?

Comment

I haven't seen that...there are a couple of organizations pushing for the opposite--they are trying to get laws to require product vendors to make repair data and parts available. Main target is Apple, but they are working for other products also. Can't imagine it will ever go anywhere but at least they're trying. I have a perfectly good iphone 4 that just needs a battery, but simply not available. If Apple thinks that is going to force me to buy a new $1K phone, they are smokin' something...not gonna happen.

Comment

I've replaced all sorts of parts in my last iPhone. Wayne, try this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-4-Replacement-Battery/IF182-000-3?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImbDbr6PC3gIVCzppCh1rPgoBEAQYAS ABEgLkmvD_BwE

I bought the correct screw driver too. After a certain model, couldn't tell you which one, they switched from standard Philip's head (albeit tiny) to a funny looking lobed one to open the case.

Comment

Thanks, Ryan! Not sure why I didn't find this--I last looked about 6-7 months ago. Ordering! I already have the tool kit. Thanks again!

Comment

Glad to help. Hope it works out. I've bought several times from that outfit. The parts have always been spot on.

Comment

Working...
                      X