2005 Miller Bobcat 250D fuse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Miller Bobcat 250D fuse

I have an 05 Miller 250 diesel serial #LF031039 with the Kubota engine. It keeps blowing the 30 amp fuse next to the starter. Ran it for about 10 minutes at full speed because it won't idle down and then the fuel shut off solenoid started to smoke and the fuse blew again. Not sure if the two are related but I'd think so. Also I'm not sure why it won't idle down. Hate to just start throwing parts at it. Any suggestions? Also I'm not a mechanic so if you need more info please let me know and I'll do my best to provide the info.

Idle speed... Is the Engine Control switch S2 in Run/Idle position and Idle Lock switch S7 in Run/Idle position?

Smoking fuel shutoff sol... That is the top solenoid, correct? With wires 66 and 49 on the plug.
    Last edited by Popscott; 11-03-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Idle PC1 module Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	592670
      Last edited by Popscott; 11-03-2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Fuel shutoff sol... (top)

Engine starting ....voltages at plug of fuel shutoff
        pin 1 red wire 66... 14 volts while running
        pin 2 wht wire 49... 12 volts only when starter engaged

Engine off plug unplugged from (top) fuel shutoff sol. measure ohms to frame
        pin 1 red wire 66... (hold) 12 ohms, manually push sol in until it stops
        pin 2 wht wire 49... (pull) 1 ohm

Comment

Popscott sorry for the slow reply. Yes the idle was set on run/idle.

The solenoid is actually on the side. The top one looks like it is the one that kicks the engine into idle. I believe the wire is #45 that the to the starter solenoid where the 30amp fuse keeps blowing.

Comment

Comment

Starter problem: Start by checking D2 in the panel. You may be passing current both ways and blowing the fuse.
              Idle problem: Disconnect the plug on your throttle solenoid. You should have 12 ohms from red wire to black wire. That's you hold coil.
              You should have less than 1 ohm from white wire to black. That's the pull coil. If the coils are good then check for voltage.
              Sounds like your pull or hold coil is bad and that's why its getting hot as there is some voltage there.S

Comment

The manual shows the top as the fuel sol...

Comment

So it turns out the fuel throttle solenoid is bad p/n 248995. I'm not for certain that is what is causing the fuse to blow. Popscott said I could just pull the plug on the solenoid and see if the fuse doesn't blow then that's the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
                    Starter problem: Start by checking D2 in the panel. You may be passing current both ways and blowing the fuse.
                    Idle problem: Disconnect the plug on your throttle solenoid. You should have 12 ohms from red wire to black wire. That's you hold coil.
                    You should have less than 1 ohm from white wire to black. That's the pull coil. If the coils are good then check for voltage.
                    Sounds like your pull or hold coil is bad and that's why its getting hot as there is some voltage there.S
                    Just to clarify, it's not going to be diode D2. If failed shorted, the engine would crank when the glow plug switch S6 was closed. If failed open, the glow plugs wouldn't energize while cranking which one could only confirm by checking for no voltage at the glow plugs while cranking.

MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                    Syncrowave 180 SD
                    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                    *HF-251D-1
                    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                    PakMaster 100XL
                    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                    http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Originally posted by l7ja75a View Post
                      So it turns out the fuel throttle solenoid is bad p/n 248995. I'm not for certain that is what is causing the fuse to blow. Popscott said I could just pull the plug on the solenoid and see if the fuse doesn't blow then that's the issue.

To confirm if the throttle control solenoid is bad or not, perform the resistance tests that popscott and 1997CST have suggested above. If it's getting hot to the point of smoking and likely the cause of fuse F2 blowing - BTW is supposed to be 20A - it's probably a shorted "hold" winding which would be confirmed by the suggested resistance test (low resistance). If it's not even attempting to pull to the low idle position then the "pull" winding may be compromised and/or you have a bad idle control module as well.

Not very likely and a long shot would be the idle control module is keeping a compromised "pull" winding energized beyond its designed 1 second duration. This would result in overheating as well and a blown F2. You can check this by testing for DC(+) voltage at the solenoid connector white wire. The white wire is supposed to get 12VDC(+) for only 1 second when the idler module calls for low idle but the red wire gets 12VDC(+) continuously to maintain idle speed.
                      Last edited by duaneb55; 11-09-2018, 02:37 PM.
                      MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                      Syncrowave 180 SD
                      Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                      *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                      *HF-251D-1
                      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                      PakMaster 100XL
                      Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Working...
                      X