Dynasty 280 CV or MM 252 plus a TIG welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 280 CV or MM 252 plus a TIG welder

Hi, I am looking at getting a welder to teach myself how to TIG weld. So, my questions are, how well does the 280 weld MIG and what is a better route, get the 280 CV with an Arc Reach feeder or get a MM 252 and a Dynasty 210 or any other combination you would recommend? I would like the best setup for least amount of money, preferably blue.

Reason for looking at a MIG welder is my dad has a MM 185 that occasionally he says is too small and my setup will be stored in his shop. I would also like the capability of stick welding so that knocks off the Diversion 180. Gotta have AC or why own a TIG welder, gone is the XMT. I think the Multimatic 220 is not a big enough step up from the MM 185 and the 220 uses 8 in. spools of wire, while think the MM 185 uses 12 in. spools of wire which I would prefer.

Going the 280 route I was thinking about getting the foot contractor kit, Arc Reach 12 feeder, Coolmate, and W280 torch. All that is pushing $10000 which is a couple grand more than I wanted to spend.

Thanks,

Fishinfiend

MM 252 and a Dynasty 210 would work. I have a MM185 and its a great machine...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
      MM 252 and a Dynasty 210 would work. I have a MM185 and its a great machine...Bob
      The MM252 and the Dynasty 210 would certainly be a more versatile setup IMO

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

The MM252 and the Dynasty 210 would certainly be a more versatile setup IMO
        Do you mind me asking why you say it is more versatile? I would have thought the other way because of portability.
        Last edited by Fishinfiend; 10-30-2018, 08:34 PM. Reason: Added items

Comment

Much more versatile and usable IMO>
          Mainly due to the fact that the MM252 is a very robust machine. You can set it up for steel and use that for your "go to" welder.
          It will do anything from very thin to very thick with only small adjustments and then larger adjustments like changing wire etc.
          It has been one of the mainstay machines of Miller's forever. You can add thing like push-pull and all that as you go.
          The Dynasty 210 will handle nearly all of your tig needs. It has a great duty cycle also. A water cooler would be it's best option to purchase as for the 280 if you went that way. Without it you won't do a great deal of higher amp aluminum work. It is also dual voltage.
          The ability to use both machines at the same time becomes invaluable. It becomes a PITA to continually switch back and forth from mig to tig over and over, when you can simply have both machines on and running at the same time, using them on the same or 2 different jobs.
          You can always weld while one machine is at another location. 2 people can be welding at the same time...…. Need I go on?
          Last edited by FusionKing; 10-31-2018, 07:42 AM.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

It is often the case in my shop to have two or three different processes set up to weld on the same job. Having multiple machines allows me to work like that. I'd hate having to stop and change things to change process on the same job.

Comment

Thanks for the replys and well made points.

I was looking back at the product sheets and noticed on signal phase it only puts out a max of 20 more rated amps. So basically how I see it is going from the 210 DX to the 280 DX CV you are paying $200 for the CV and $100 per rated amp. Anything real thick is where the MIG comes in.

Now I have 5 new questions.

1. Would you buy the kit with the cart or build the cart?

2. I want an air cooler torch for portability, so would that great to learn with and use with most projects and get a cooler at a later date or learn with the water cooled torch?

3. FusionKing, I noticed that you have both the Dynasty 200 DX and the 280 DX, which one do you use more often and why?

4. If I go with the 210 DX, I could spend towards a better MIG welder, so would it be worth taking a look at the MM 350P over the MM 252?

5. How do they come up with the welding thicknesses in the catalog? I should be able to do just about everything, just shy of CAC, with the 210 as I could do with the 280 except I would maybe have to do an additional pass from a little larger "V".

Thanks again,

Fishinfiend

Comment

280 and a 252.always buy 1 or 2 sizes bigger than you think you will need. You never know what will come through the door.I like my set up. My xmt stays set up on the feeder most of the time. The dynasty easier to swap from tig to stick and back.
                DYNASTY 400
                Coolmate 3.5
                SW320 speedway
                CK 230 flex lock
                XMT 350 CC/CV
                S74DX Feeder
                400 amp Q for the heavy stuff
                M150 for the light stuff
                30a spoolgun that just sits there
                Spectrum 875 50 footer
                ESAB Sentinel

Comment

First off, the 280 is a 280 amp machine. it will put out the full 280 without a doubt. The 280 is more cutting edge so it will always be lower duty cycle in the same case as the 210. A lot of guys get all messed with from the spec sheets. I have no experience with the CV version though. It could be handy for the right guy.
                  The 210 has benefited from the development of the 280. If you need the extra amps the 280 is the way to go.
                  As Sledsports said more amps is always better.
                  I really don't know what your actual intention is, so it is hard to recommend much. I just seen what you posted and responded from the 2 choices you gave. Always buy the best available for what you need at the time, and you wont regret it. Mig is a whole other thing and deserves it's due diligence IMO.
                  I believe in dedicated machines, not do everything. That said, my advice would be to get the tig machine of your choice and get the entire setup. Forget the mig until the need arises, and then get the one you need. The non CV 280 with the tig runner is super badass. If you bought the CV version with the tig runner package but without the reach feeder you would still have both mig options open when the need arose for a mig.
                  After a dozen or so years welding with air cooled and then switching to water cooled, I would never go back. I had an entire junkyard of burnt up air cooled stuff. The difference is daylight and dark on aluminum welding. The 280 would fry the air cooled torch in a short time. So will the 210 for that matter.
                  The reason I have a 200 is I used to do portable welding as well as shop. it is now my steel tig machine and I use it for marine aluminum casting work also because it is new enough that it has sine wave. The 280 gets the living snot ran out of it daily on pontoon boats as does the 700.
                  The 200 and the 280 have the factory carts. The 700 has it's own cart that I made and never quite finished but it works fine for now.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Thanks that really helped. Now I am back to the 280. If I go the 280 it would be the DX CV over just the DX because the difference in price is $200 on a $5500 machine. (After seeing the price difference I am surprised they still sell the non CV version.)

Currently I am thinking it will mainly be used for learning to weld and minor aluminum and SS welding cause if there is a lot of welding to be done we would switch over the MM 185 to weld it because it is faster but it might change once I get it.

FusionKing, I was looking at your Facebook link and seen some of your welding pictures and boy those are some nice looking welds. I would also say that is probably the thickness I would be welding, too.

The cart I will build, then I can add a couple of drawers to hold the torch accessories and consumables. Also, it makes a great first project.

Thanks again,

FF

Comment

Stopped by the LWS and the salesman said take a look at the new Multimatic 220. Granted it just came out but what are your thoughts on it?

Also, seeing how Miller is coming out with a Millermatic 255 I decided that if I go the Dynasty route, I will go with that for the MIG. It puts out up to 350 amps, does pulse, and can run a push pull gun (which will probably never happen), all for $2750 according to Miller.

After some more thinking about what will be welded with the TIG is repairing SS (like sheet metal, tri clamp pipes, 1/8 inch thick at the most), Aluminum (1/4 inch once in a while and 3/8 max) and Steel (probably just sheet metal), that does not count what I will learn on because I will go from minimum to the maximum. MIG is any big projects, requires a lot of welding that justifies switching over the machine for both stainless and aluminum. Then for steel, 1/2 inch and less except for the blue moon 1 inch plate to 1/2 inch or less material.

FF

Comment

I'm just not the person to have much use for machines that can do everything. Most of my projects are tig. That said, when I want to mig It's normally because I need a powerful welder. But when I look at all the information on it, I could see the Multimatic 220 could be the perfect machine for a lot of people.
                        The fact that you can have mig and tig both hooked up at the same time is invaluable to me. Plus multi voltage.
                        You could always get that first, then upgrade to more badass machines when you get more involved.
                        There is a lot of videos on that machine.
                        But it would NEVER be all that a Dynasty 280 and Millermatic 255 can do...... nor was it intended to.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

A true do all machine will not perform all functions as well as a dedicated machine will. I've noticed smaller tig machines get clumsy down low.
                          DYNASTY 400
                          Coolmate 3.5
                          SW320 speedway
                          CK 230 flex lock
                          XMT 350 CC/CV
                          S74DX Feeder
                          400 amp Q for the heavy stuff
                          M150 for the light stuff
                          30a spoolgun that just sits there
                          Spectrum 875 50 footer
                          ESAB Sentinel

Comment

Fishinfiend............

Just wondering why would you pick a "State of the Art" expensive machine for something to learn on?

Not to say there is anything wrong with the 280 series machines as I bought a new DX last year and love it........but I'm coming from decades of welding Blue on old Transformer machines and not to say these old machines are bad either , cause there not.........it's just that after many years it's nice to explore all the new added benefits of the inverter welders.............and quite honestly I am yet to explore or even try out a 1/3 of all the features..........but I can tell you this new machine did make me a better welder with more control...............and if I need to weld MIG I have a 211 under the bench that can be moved almost anywhere and plugged in ......and if it's real heavy material nothing stopping me from going stick.......although I'm yet to see anything up to 1/2" that the 280DX doesn't like to eat.

I might suggest just to go find a good used machine and TIG away............you'll have a much better picture of your needs once your experience ages some.

Comment

tarry99,

Reason why I am looking at "State of the Art" is because of I dislike hidden menus, I like the best, and the old saying "Buy once, cry once." Also, as long as I take care of it, it will last forever.

At first I was looking at the 280 was because i could connect a wire feed to it so I could do higher amperage MIG (have a MM185). Then after told 2 machines are greater than 1 and noticed the Feeder is within $500 cheaper than the MM 252 and 255(using Miller list price), I was then looking at the 280 because of the higher amperage. I just about had a Diversion 180 except it did not have the stick capability (never know when you will need it).

As of right now I am waiting to hear from a friend what there employee price would be. Also, if I could find a Miller Demo unit that is what I would get. Another note, just looked on craigslist and the newest machine came across with Christopher Columbus, what I don't want.

Right now I am trying to determine if I want the 210 DX CPS or the 280 CV which us $1500 price difference, but the 210 comes with an Infinite helmet, looking at Cyberweld's website (which is the cheapest I found online).

I am in no big hurry to buy because 1 I don't want to buy the wrong machine, 2 it is a big purchase, and 3 it must be at least 5 years now that I have been looking at getting a 210 and the last year or so at maybe the 280 because of the CV.

The reason I started this thread is because I wanted to get another step closer at getting a machine and wanted some welders opinions on the machines before I purchased one.

Thanks so far for all of the replys,

FF

Comment

Working...
                              X