2012 Big Blue 300 Pro with a Kubota engine problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Big Blue 300 Pro with a Kubota engine problems

Bought the machine used several months ago, really like the way it welds now but I am having issues with it shutting down while welding. The hour meter - fuel gauge reads "Lo Oil Pressure" this is not a constant issue only sporadic for some reason, checked to oil pressure sending unit it seems to be functioning just fine. The machine can be shut off and later on in 10 minuets it will run just fine? it was well maintained by the prior owner, has 4775 hours on it, The work I do with it is pipe welding, So far it has held its own against all the Lincolns here at work but the first little hick up I get pounded on, I know its got to be something simple but it is a complicated machine vs what I am used to using ( Classic II 250 Lincoln). The only thing I have done to it is service it and lower the Hertz to what Cruiser suggested, which made a huge improvement to how it welded, that adjustment should not have affected the oil pressure safety system on the machine. any advise appreciated.

Comment

I would assume its possible the oil pressure sending unit could have an intermittent problem, or a loose wire somewhere? Given your rather "high visibility" work environment, I would consider first checking for loose connections by following the wires from the sending unit to wherever they go. If you don't see any issues, than replace the sending unit. I wouldn't think it should be very expensive. Just my two cents worth; what I would do in your situation.

Comment

Kinda what I was thinking also, just don’t want to get into a parts replacing cycle chasing a problem, I don’t have a Miller service center close around to have them check it out. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanebob View Post
          Kinda what I was thinking also, just don’t want to get into a parts replacing cycle chasing a problem, I don’t have a Miller service center close around to have them check it out. Thank you.
          Agree completely with your thoughts on replacing parts--I hate doing that, but if the sending unit is cheap enough, and it solves a real pain for you, it might be worth a try especially since there's no one close to look at it for you. If you get the part number from your parts list, go to Miller4less.com; generally somewhat reasonable prices. Understand the part about showing up at a pipeline job with a Miller.....bound to get some grief at the slightest opportunity.
          Last edited by Aeronca41; 10-27-2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Grief from pipe welders? Ha! That’s a understatment, I had a “Miller Killer” sticker on my last machine, that one has come back to haunt me. Thanks for the parts info.

Comment

yeah, my statement was probably worded pretty mildly--to say the least. Pipeliners are always so mild-mannered and politically correct.....

Comment

I've had more trouble from the Fuel/Hour meter than the oil pressure switch. Since this is an sporadic problem I'd lean toward the meter. JMO

Comment

So the Fuel/hour meter can go bad? Is it the connections on it or you just suck it up and replace the 300.00 plus meter? Thanks for the input, ordered the oil pressure sending unit yesterday gonna try it, I had a hard time starting it a week or so ago thought it was the glow plugs, cranked on it long enough it threw a hlp 23 code when it finally started, let it warm up then shut it off, restarted it then it ran fine. Put new glow plugs in it 3 days later, serviced it as it was off the truck, loaded it back up welded for 3 hrs or so then it started shuttering like it had bad fuel then it shut down with the “ lo oil” message, that’s where the first post started as I’m in over my head at this point. I bought this thing for 3700.00, tinker with it a bit and it is a good welding machine IMHO, to me a machine that can run stringer beads fairly well, hot passes and fills very controllable, but where it shines I think is it caps well with 3/16 8010, narrow or wide pipeline caps, I have never welded with a Pipe Pro but if they are better than this I can see why welders are dropping that kind of money on them, technology is a good thing even though it’s not gray in my kind of work.

Comment

It's a great machine and for the price you paid it's a steal. Yea the Hour meter has so many functions now that you just have to replace it. Worth it as you can forget about the machine and concentrate on welding.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the advise.

Comment

The OP switch grounds to its body which means it's a 1-wire device. It's a 4psi NO switch and with no oil pressure the switch opens and the ground thru the body from the engine to the meter/gauge goes away, the ground to control relay CR1 goes away and the engine shuts down. So, simply connecting a jumper wire to the switch terminal from ground can tell you if the switch has an intermittent open fault from ground if the unit no longer shuts down with the jumper wire connected.

If it continues to shut down with the "LO OIL" indication then the hour meter/fuel gauge unit is likely defective as 1997CST stated.

Meter/Gauge:
                        http://miller4less.com/advanced_sear...=18&search.y=7

OP switch:
                        http://miller4less.com/advanced_sear...16&search.y=10
                        MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                        Syncrowave 180 SD
                        Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                        *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                        *HF-251D-1
                        *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                        PakMaster 100XL
                        Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                        http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Another thought.

Not sure if the meter/gauge would indicate the LO OIL fault if CR1 dropped out shutting the unit down and thus no oil pressure. As long as the meter/gauge remained powered by the ignition switch I think an intermittent failing CR1 (or one of its connections) might be a possible cause to consider.
                          MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                          Syncrowave 180 SD
                          Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                          *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                          *HF-251D-1
                          *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                          PakMaster 100XL
                          Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                          http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Nice! this is getting really technical! I understand what you are saying about the control relay I believe. Can you tell me where it is located with the hood taken off please? I don't have it off yet but in looking at the Section 9 Electrical Diagram it looks like it comes off the number 7 connection on the fuel hour meter, would it be wise just to replace it along with the fuel hour meter at the same time to eliminate any weak links? thank you very much for the advise sir.

Comment

If you are standing in front of the machine CR1 is located on the right side, inside the white control box when you take off the side panel.

Comment

Working...
                              X