Syncrowave 250 power cord problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 250 power cord problem

Twice I have burnt through the plastic coolant cover on the power cord where the cord drops from the hookup point on the front of the welder, loops very close to the lower left sharp corner of the housing and up toward the handle where some of it is still wrapped clockwise. Setting was Hi-freq to start running at 150 amps skip welding on 3/8 mild steel platte. Smallish job with setup time between beads so I don't think coolant was very hot. Coolant tank had been full. Lots on the floor before I quit welding and noticed it. The hole in the power cable was biggish, almost the size of a penny facing directly at the sharp point. Hi-freq is set 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up. Seems I might prevent this by shielding that spot which the normal 25' cover (starting at the torch) doesn't reach, or wrapping the cables around the welder handles counter clockwise. Hanging as it does the cable is not hard against the corner, just very close. I think the problem is electrical. But why's it happening?

Originally posted by Just Kep View Post
    Twice I have burnt through the plastic coolant cover on the power cord where the cord drops from the hookup point on the front of the welder, loops very close to the lower left sharp corner of the housing and up toward the handle where some of it is still wrapped clockwise. Setting was Hi-freq to start running at 150 amps skip welding on 3/8 mild steel platte. Smallish job with setup time between beads so I don't think coolant was very hot. Coolant tank had been full. Lots on the floor before I quit welding and noticed it. The hole in the power cable was biggish, almost the size of a penny facing directly at the sharp point. Hi-freq is set 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up. Seems I might prevent this by shielding that spot which the normal 25' cover (starting at the torch) doesn't reach, or wrapping the cables around the welder handles counter clockwise. Hanging as it does the cable is not hard against the corner, just very close. I think the problem is electrical. But why's it happening?
    First thing you need to do is quit wrapping the cables around the handles. This will save you problems in the future.
    Griff

Comment

Working...
    X