Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we make a weld between two sheets of 8 mm each?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we make a weld between two sheets of 8 mm each?

If yes then please tell me the type of flux, arc power and electricity voltages and the type of weld too if it is other than spot weld??

Drill one sheet and plug weld it. Your choice on the process as any of them will work...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

David, I'm a little confused by what type of weld you're asking about. 8mm, (5/16") thick steel sounds pretty straightforward to me. I feel even being the noob I'm am I could make a nice weld on a tjoint, but joint, or lap joint with a 6011 at about 90 amps with my stick welder. Or maybe 7014 100ish amps...

I check this forum fairly often to try and pick up any tips and tricks from the guys who know more than I do. (Which doesn't usually take much...)

Hopefully this helps others who troll more often than not like I do.

Comment

Isn't that an interesting question?

"
        Can we make a weld between two sheets of 8 mm each"

Being a little metrically challenged, I had to convert it to the imperial measure to wrap my head around the question and how I'd answer it...8mm eh...that's kind of thick? Hmm?

I'm ready...
        We can't... you, maybe?

"
        other than spot weld??
        "

No and yes is probably the answer.

No, because in all practical sense, and simple terms, you inquired about the middle.
        In order to fuse / metallic bond the middle, it would have to be made either through, explosion welding, or the science of blacksmithing if you rule out extreme resistance spot/seam welding. While I may be proven wrong, these are typically weld the middle processes.

Yes, because the science to do both it exists.

You could also use a dissimilar metallic bond to fuse the middle...as well non metallic bonding, again, not a spot weld. Think wood glue.

But as far is it goes, if this is an actual question you have, providing greater detail will illicit a more learned response.

If it's a question you have to answer, fill in the blank with words, write in, "yes, but It's up to the engineer to decide, welders follow a WPS".

Comment

And I am a big 8MM fan...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
          X