Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we make a weld between two sheets of 8 mm each?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we make a weld between two sheets of 8 mm each?

Car stereo revs into mass market

A British firm has developed flat-panel speakers utilizing technologies developed to isolate plane cockpit sound. The audio quality isn't quite like conventional speakers, but on account of their flat character the speakers may be decorated.

Flat-panel speakers deliver new dimensions to noise

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Best car speakers in the world

This magician was not David Copperfield, only a guy in a lab jacket. And his magical has been no illusion. Panel produced from a superthin composite additionally utilized to make planes, deftly attached a cord to the trunk, and flipped it in to singer Tracy Chapman. Alright, so Tracy Chapman was not actually there, only a loudspeaker like nothing we had ever noticed before. However, it seemed like alchemy to people.

Born of a British Defence Research Agency project directed at discovering ways to isolate sound in plane cockpits, NXT speaker layout is the newest enterprise of British electronics firm Verity Group, whose admired loudspeaker brands comprise Mission, Wharfedale and Quad. Verity Group is now licensing the flat-panel technology below the title NXT to firms which have NEC and JBL parent Harman International.

Forget The Norm

To comprehend the way the NXT flat speakers operate, it is ideal to briefly forget what you understand about how your living room speakers function. The version of an amplifier connected to a loudspeaker does not shift with NXT technologies, but the similarities end after the electric signal strikes the voice coil. Only a very small magnet, a voice coil and a board which may be made from paper or aluminum.

At a traditional speaker, the signal in the amplifier energizes a magnetized voice coil that is attached to a diaphragm. The diaphragm vibrates, causing the surrounding atmosphere to vibrate in response to the sound signal and also to recreate the original sound wave shape in as linear a type as you can.

The magnet-and-coil assembly goes a microscopic 40 microns, barely nudging the stiff panel to commence a string of bending waves which travel in all directions.

"You wind up with those bending waves which are currently crossing at each angle and at various rates," states Jon Vizor, manager of advertising for NXT. "And it will become this disorderly mass of crossing waves which form the manners that make the music"

Though NXT works in another world, its aim is that of traditional speaker design: to only replicate the sound signal as faithfully as you can.

"At one extreme, you are attempting to look for a transducer that is as nonresonant as you can," states Dr. Floyd Toole, vice president of technology in Harman International, licensor of NXT technology in the USA. And there are many resonances and they are so densely packed together in the frequency domain which nobody of these stands out as being discretely perceptible as a source of undesirable coloration. Everything you hear is that a facsimile of what you need to be hearing"

RELATED ARTICLE: best car speakers for bass and sound quality, car speakers reviews

Apartment Is Flat

NXT will make panels as slender as 0.3mm heavy with vinyl, glass fiber, carbon fiber, aluminum or some other range of rigid, lightweight substrates. The business boasts functioning samples of full-range speakers which pay eight octaves but weigh less than two oz. NXT provides no promises for replicating frequencies below 200Hz at a reasonable-size loudspeaker and anticipates flat speakers intended for the house to be supplemented by beefy subwoofers. The very first NXT-licensed merchandise for the U.S. market--that includes subwoofers from sister firm Mission Electronics--was expected to hit stores by mid-August. Horizontal panels which mount onto the wall along with a conventional pistonlike 10-in.

"Our technology is scalable in credit-card dimensions to 120-sq. -meter theater displays," Vizor states. "Plus it has the exact same acoustic advantages and possessions no matter what the size. The distinction is bass functionality. You need huge displays for really low bass"

In reality, the very first commercial use of NXT technology has been in the NEC version PC-9821 notebook PC which sells from Japan. The 0.5mm flat-panel speakers slide behind the PC's display when they are not being used, and deliver a sound that surpasses most notebook speakers. Desktop PCs and personal digital assistants (PDAs) are prime candidates for its tech, as are discussing banners and posters, public address systems (due to their diffuse sound pattern there is no responses ) and car audio speaker systems.

While NXT sets its sights on potential programs for flat-panel speakers, many businesses which have different patent swaps and cross-licensing arrangements with NXT--such as Sound Advance Systems, Fostex and Noise Cancellation Technologies Inc. (NCT)--are still delivering their particular variations of horizontal speakers in the USA.

NCT utilizes a cool-running piezoelectric driver, instead of a magnet and voice coil, to cause vibrations from its panel. Additionally, NCT is shooting a minimal flat-panel stand-alone non invasive response of 100Hz, instead of the 200Hz NXT has encouraged, Claybaugh states. To be able to accomplish that degree and also to come to market , NCT cobbled together a hybrid layout utilizing a flat panel along with a conventional cone driver to take care of the midbass frequencies. Its Gekko program also comprises another 10-in., 65-watt subwoofer.

"We ran into lots of the very same challenges which NXT has encounter," Claybaugh states. A main challenge is to design modest drivers that could manage a great deal of power-enough to create highquality, full-bandwidth sound. But he is bullish about the possibility of a real, full-range flat-panel speaker. "An all-flat-panel speaker is totally possible," he states. "But it is going to most likely be a few years until we see that an all-panel speaker "

Tool, Panel On Your Wall

Most of us understand that speakers are able to look pretty gruesome should they ungainly and put incorrectly in a space. So, of course, those speakers are bringing fresh ideas into home decoration--also as speaker technologies. The question is: Once you buy a speaker from the ground, what can you do with it about the wall? NXT sees a mirror speaker as a single choice, whilst NCT turns its own speaker in to artwork.

Also in the works is a surround-sound speaker program for your vehicle, comprising NCT's piezo patch onto a board at the headliner and another subwoofer for bass.

SEE ALSO: https://my.olympus-consumer.com/members/catherine423

In their quest to come up with a new speaker technologies, flat-panel designers are known as tricksters that are attempting to reinvent the laws of mathematics, says Vizor. NXT asserts that its design principles are utilized for decades in submarine design and bridge construction, not only in loudspeaker layout. Harman's Toole finds that utilizing a couple of transducers to arouse a weapon has introduced a range of significant problems in engineering and physics which NXT has needed to fix. "it is a real engineering practice, and also to the extent that it functions and it will, it has been effective."
    Last edited by david4121; 11-01-2018, 10:51 AM.

Drill one sheet and plug weld it. Your choice on the process as any of them will work...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

David, I'm a little confused by what type of weld you're asking about. 8mm, (5/16") thick steel sounds pretty straightforward to me. I feel even being the noob I'm am I could make a nice weld on a tjoint, but joint, or lap joint with a 6011 at about 90 amps with my stick welder. Or maybe 7014 100ish amps...

I check this forum fairly often to try and pick up any tips and tricks from the guys who know more than I do. (Which doesn't usually take much...)

Hopefully this helps others who troll more often than not like I do.

Comment

Isn't that an interesting question?

"
        Can we make a weld between two sheets of 8 mm each"

Being a little metrically challenged, I had to convert it to the imperial measure to wrap my head around the question and how I'd answer it...8mm eh...that's kind of thick? Hmm?

I'm ready...
        We can't... you, maybe?

"
        other than spot weld??
        "

No and yes is probably the answer.

No, because in all practical sense, and simple terms, you inquired about the middle.
        In order to fuse / metallic bond the middle, it would have to be made either through, explosion welding, or the science of blacksmithing if you rule out extreme resistance spot/seam welding. While I may be proven wrong, these are typically weld the middle processes.

Yes, because the science to do both it exists.

You could also use a dissimilar metallic bond to fuse the middle...as well non metallic bonding, again, not a spot weld. Think wood glue.

But as far is it goes, if this is an actual question you have, providing greater detail will illicit a more learned response.

If it's a question you have to answer, fill in the blank with words, write in, "yes, but It's up to the engineer to decide, welders follow a WPS".

Comment

And I am a big 8MM fan...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
          X