Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OA Explosion - One Dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bob La Londe
    started a topic OA Explosion - One Dead

    OA Explosion - One Dead

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12119555

    Wow! The hair on back of my neck stood on end just reading the article.

  • ryanjones2150
    replied
    Years ago, when I worked for a dirt work outfit in Washington, the mechanics were working late and decided to blow off some steam by setting off trash bags filled with acetylene. They would get a little more bold with each until they went for the finale. Not very smart and it blew a few of the metal panels off the side of the shop, amongst other things they damaged. Luckily no body was hurt, but two of them did get let go after that. Dummies. Go home and blow up your own stuff if that's what you want to do.

    Leave a comment:


  • Noel
    replied
    I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time?

    Leave a comment:


  • Noel
    replied
    Mostly because he hadn't exceed 15psi. I'm sure however it was either a static spark or an attempt to light the gas that the speed of flame propagation had it burning back to the source before he could say boo.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aeronca41
    replied
    What seems kind of amazing about this is that he didn't blow himself up back in the shop when stuffing O2 and Acet into the same tank!

    Leave a comment:


  • FusionKing
    replied
    His Idea wasn't all that far fetched when you consider the newer gasses such as Mapp etc...
    Just simply not researched. I have to constantly spew out basics to everyone in the shop. (and they actually appreciate it)
    It's a DIY world now. Skip the basics and get right to the exciting part.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bluelightbandit
    replied
    Wow, tried to attach the torch directly to the tank bypassing the hoses and regulators. I can't imagine what he was thinking and how he thought it would be a good idea.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bob La Londe
    replied
    I've seen first hand a flash pop from just venting a bottle to see if it had gas in it or not. The whole time I was reading the article I knew it was going to end badly.

    Leave a comment:


  • OscarJr
    replied
    Feel bad for the guy, but it was best this way as opposed to causing harm to others.

    Leave a comment:


  • Noobie
    replied
    Natural selection at work right there.

    Leave a comment:


  • Noel
    replied
    Well Bob, it goes to prove in a explosive sort of way, a little knowledge does make you dangerous? And it seems, it can kill you, as it did this young fellow who don't learn enough.

    "He came down the drive and was saying he had this awesome new thing which he had managed to make work which was oxy-acetylene in a LPG bottle."

    What's left to be said...? Stupid is as stupid does? Pity the poor dead fool? Holy smokes, I didn't see that coming?

    Well his buddy it seems knew something was not quite right? -
    "I said, 'I'm out of here'. I knew not to mess with it. It is crazy."

    Turns out he was right.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X