Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OA Explosion - One Dead

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12119555

Wow! The hair on back of my neck stood on end just reading the article.

Well Bob, it goes to prove in a explosive sort of way, a little knowledge does make you dangerous? And it seems, it can kill you, as it did this young fellow who don't learn enough.

"He came down the drive and was saying he had this awesome new thing which he had managed to make work which was oxy-acetylene in a LPG bottle."

What's left to be said...? Stupid is as stupid does? Pity the poor dead fool? Holy smokes, I didn't see that coming?

Well his buddy it seems knew something was not quite right? -
    "I said, 'I'm out of here'. I knew not to mess with it. It is crazy."

Turns out he was right.

Comment

Natural selection at work right there.

Comment

Feel bad for the guy, but it was best this way as opposed to causing harm to others.
        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
        Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
        Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

I've seen first hand a flash pop from just venting a bottle to see if it had gas in it or not. The whole time I was reading the article I knew it was going to end badly.

Comment

Wow, tried to attach the torch directly to the tank bypassing the hoses and regulators. I can't imagine what he was thinking and how he thought it would be a good idea.

Comment

His Idea wasn't all that far fetched when you consider the newer gasses such as Mapp etc...
              Just simply not researched. I have to constantly spew out basics to everyone in the shop. (and they actually appreciate it)
              It's a DIY world now. Skip the basics and get right to the exciting part.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

What seems kind of amazing about this is that he didn't blow himself up back in the shop when stuffing O2 and Acet into the same tank!

Comment

Mostly because he hadn't exceed 15psi. I'm sure however it was either a static spark or an attempt to light the gas that the speed of flame propagation had it burning back to the source before he could say boo.

Comment

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time?

Comment

Years ago, when I worked for a dirt work outfit in Washington, the mechanics were working late and decided to blow off some steam by setting off trash bags filled with acetylene. They would get a little more bold with each until they went for the finale. Not very smart and it blew a few of the metal panels off the side of the shop, amongst other things they damaged. Luckily no body was hurt, but two of them did get let go after that. Dummies. Go home and blow up your own stuff if that's what you want to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X