Multimatic 215 suspect performance as stick machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multimatic 215 suspect performance as stick machine

Recent purchase of MM-215 and only yesterday got around to using it as a stick machine.
    Only used as Mig till now.

On first stick use I noticed what seems like it might be a precursor of some kind of problem.

On first rod, welding power just stops momentarily. That is, the arc stops dead for a few seconds
    and then lights back up for a few seconds...might burn 1/4-1/2 inch then stops momentarily .. etc.

By the time I got to the second rod the phenomena got less frequent, by the third rod or so it seems to have
    stopped all together.

This was not the rod sticking .. we are all familiar with. It was intermittent power stoppage of some
    kind. But, after about the third rod the phenomena has stopped all together... I've now burnt 4 to 5 lbs of
    a mixture 1/8 5p+ 6010 and 3/32 7018.

The machine seems to perform admirably after the troublesome first few rods.

Being a long time stick welder with lots and lots of experience, I know this was not a simple
    problem with the electrode holder or ground.

The power supply cable is a 30 foot storebought 240 volt cable with three # 6 and one # 8 wiring.
    Further, nothing like this has happened in mig mode where I've now burnt three 2lb rolls of .030
    on the same power cable and welding ground.

In summary:
    This was a full power stoppage but intermittent. It happened maybe 6-7 times during the the
    course of burning 2 sticks of 1/8 5p+ 6010, has not recurred during the burning of about 4lbs of rod.

What I am a bit worried about is that the phenomena is precursor to something.

Originally posted by hput3 View Post
    Recent purchase of MM-215 and only yesterday got around to using it as a stick machine.
    Only used as Mig till now.

On first stick use I noticed what seems like it might be a precursor of some kind of problem.

On first rod, welding power just stops momentarily. That is, the arc stops dead for a few seconds
    and then lights back up for a few seconds...might burn 1/4-1/2 inch then stops momentarily .. etc.

By the time I got to the second rod the phenomena got less frequent, by the third rod or so it seems to have
    stopped all together.

This was not the rod sticking .. we are all familiar with. It was intermittent power stoppage of some
    kind. But, after about the third rod the phenomena has stopped all together... I've now burnt 4 to 5 lbs of
    a mixture 1/8 5p+ 6010 and 3/32 7018.

The machine seems to perform admirably after the troublesome first few rods.

Being a long time stick welder with lots and lots of experience, I know this was not a simple
    problem with the electrode holder or ground.

The power supply cable is a 30 foot storebought 240 volt cable with three # 6 and one # 8 wiring.
    Further, nothing like this has happened in mig mode where I've now burnt three 2lb rolls of .030
    on the same power cable and welding ground.

In summary:
    This was a full power stoppage but intermittent. It happened maybe 6-7 times during the the
    course of burning 2 sticks of 1/8 5p+ 6010, has not recurred during the burning of about 4lbs of rod.

What I am a bit worried about is that the phenomena is precursor to something.
    I would be too

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Try a 6011. Inverter machines don't like cellulose coated rods. My maxstar absolutely will not run a 6010. 6011 is great. Some inverters have a specific feature for 6010, but I'm not sure if the 215 is one of them.

Comment

Scroll down to section 10-2 https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...72989B_MIL.pdf It will run 6010, 6011 and 6013...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Well there ya go, couldn't possibly be a simple problem. Never is.

Comment

I'm not sure I'm in agreement there's a problem? But... If that persists I'd be talking to some one before the warranty expires?

However, skilled welder or not, I'm going to offer some thought to the matter?

I looked at the manual that had been linked. I didn't notice if you mentioned, was it powered to 120vac or 240 vac. I didn't see a volt/amps curve shown in the manual? No matter, those duty cycle graphs expose some limits. I would guess it to be fairly steeply inclined? Meaning, you can get plenty of amps, but a long arc due to a momentary lapse could mean arc out? Was that the full power stoppage you mentioned?
            Assuming it wasn't you having to go through a couple rods keeping a tighter arc tight, relearning what you can get away with, It would sound like a problem? But the problem did go away?
            Maybe you just fixed the problem. Yourself?

Comment

I have two inverter machines but never took the time to look up if they wouldn't run 6010, I just stuck a rod in there gave her a try. Nope. Poop. Maybe I should go back and read the manual, but it won't matter, I already know 6010 won't run. Try some new/different rod and see how she chooches.

Comment

my HTP Invertig 221 will not run 6010 cellolosic rods at all on 120V, the OCV ends up being too low, around 47V. But when on 240V, it runs them great; the machine has an OCV of 67-70V. At first I thought this might be the case, but the OP says it's on 240V already, on a heavy gauge extension cord. I know it sounds like voodoo magic, but maybe the board needed to get "burned in"? This might also be one of those cases where a good ground connection is of paramount importance to extract the most out of the machine. Perhaps upgrade the wire to an "overkill" size, and a better clamp than what the machine comes with. Home Depot sells a lincoln brand clamp for about $8 that I put on mine, and it is very nice for the price. Put it on a 2-awg ground cable and let 'er rip!
                HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
                Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Just a few clarifying points from Original Poster: Someone asked if it was on 120 or 240.
                  Sorry, I did fail to mention that specifically. Instead I spec'ed out the power cable I was using
                  240 with three #6 and one #8. So yes it was using 240.volt.

To the several posters who raised questions about 6010: Even a cursory reading of my Original Post,
                  should indicate that I burned 4-5 lbs of a mixture of 6010 and 7018 following the brief problem during
                  that occured with the first 3 stick rods (6010)... So it would be clear then that the 215 has no problem
                  with 6010 (at least not on 240 volt) as I burned 2-3 dozen sticks of 6010 with no problems following
                  the initial arc stoppages.

I think the problem I had is one of those things where you just will not know the cause unless some
                  further problem occurs. So far it has not.

Comment

The fact that the auto-set has 6011 parameters and no 6010 may be a hint that Miller determined the unit doesn't perform well with 6010.

Comment

I have the Lincoln equivalent of the 215. When I change to stick mode I have to "turn on" the output with the voltage knob. I have found that if I don't turn the knob far enough sometimes the output will either not initiate or occasionally drop out especially at the start of work. Does the 215 also need to be turned on like this?

---Meltedmetal

Comment

I'm gonna go with hput3 and say there is something funky about the machine.
                        Somewhere in there..... there was something that wasn't making contact. After a load and some heat occurred, it "stuck" and now it will go until it looses contact. Or finishes off into a crisp. I have light switches and crap like that fail for no real good reason IMO.
                        Not all that far out there really. It may not be a stud ring connection but maybe inside of a component. Miller has only made like 40,000 or whatever of these. When you buy the pieces and then assemble them, who knows what they may have.... or may not??
                        Personally I am kind of blown away that we can use these machines we have these days to do something as harsh as stick welding.
                        Some day we'll be using our phones or at least ray guns like Star Trek.
                        Just sayin'

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Apologies for throwing out a suggestion that may have helped, didn't, but also didn't hurt. Next time I shall perform a more thorough cursory examination of your issue. Best of luck with your 215. Hope she keeps choochin along for ya.

Comment

I'm gonna go with hput3 and say there is something funky about the machine.
                            The question is, is this one time funky or is this infant mortality funky. Just from the OP's description, I'd be on the phone with miller and not asking on the forum. I'd try it without the extension cords. It's an inverter welder so, there's nothing simple about how the stick mode works.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

Some day we'll be using our phones or at least ray guns like Star Trek.
                              Just sayin'
                              I think the new I phone 12 will have a built in electrode slot in the top of it...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
                              X