Need suggestions on how to get into pipeline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions on how to get into pipeline

I’m new to the forum first time posting have read a lot on here tho. So I’ve been wandering what’s the best way to get into pipeline welding I’m from tn so not much around. I’ve recently graduated from welding school for stick ,mig ,tig in all postitions and tig and stick pipe I graduated as an honor student. Since I started I’ve wanted to get into pipeline I don’t know anyone or know anyone that knows someone that does it. Any suggestions?

Good luck with that. While I've never been a pipe line welder, I can see why you want to live the dream.
    They have that dream hyped to death with demand and big bucks but in reality few get there. Welding schools use it as a selling feature to boost enrollment and they make money selling the dream, keeping it alive.$$$.

Not saying you can't or won't, just be mindful of the path you take to get there.
    Making that large money comes with a risk. You have to buy a new truck, rig up a new truck, equip a new truck and then add in the business of ownership, taxes, licencing and insurance.

It's not just long hours rolling in the muck, sparks, splatter, black flies and skitters, making fists of money. Following the line living out of a camp or motel room is almost a life style. And it costs to play the game up front. Being one of the boys comes with risks as well.

So...how do you get to be that guy? Deep pockets, certification and training, moving or relocating to the hot spots and some well directed job search.
    As well, luck. Some times it's just that. One guy quits or didn't get back soon enough because his welder calved and you ready to go will be the new guy? You've been handing out business cards, buying lunches and drinks, schmoozing all for this moment right?

Welding does pay, but a lot of it is over time hours and out of town perks. During hard times, perks it seems tend to be eroded away when labor is in abundance and work limited. Your bills still have to be paid though? Fitting in as one of the boys helps, usually the guy that doesn't fit is cast out.

If your as skilled as you say, there's always vessel shops, fab shops looking for skilled or trainable staff. Union, and non union oil field related companies are good starting points getting piping experience. Both for the experience and seeing who's doing what, who's doing it where, how they are doing it as well learning who the shakers and movers in the industry are or going to be.

And if your smart, you won't blow it as quick as you make it, on booze, broads, gambling and blow. Lol. I'm serious. It's a life style and it brings with it it's own share of issues. Be smart, stay safe, and use your head.

Comment

There used to be something called Hot Jobs. You would call the adds until you found some places worth trying.
      Call a company called Zachary and see what they have going on. They are non union and do a lot of big jobs.
      Let us know how this process goes.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I’ll try that if I can get in somewhere I’ll probably try as a helper first before I buy a machine that way I can get all I need before rig welding

Comment

Excellent explanation Noel.. Douglas 28 follow his advice

Comment

There are shop jobs welding pipe, if you can find one it would be a good way to start, gain experience and save money. Since you're posting this, I guess the trade school doesn't have any leads for you?
            Richard

Comment

Well all they had around here is pipe fitters and I tried that and they said they only took applications in April I also put a helper application in 798 don’t think I have enough experience to get in there tho

Comment

Does anyone know of any contractors that shire welder helpers

Comment

Where bouts are you?

You want a job, get off the internet and go start talking to people. When I got out of the army, I needed a job, I walked into a construction site and asked a guy running an excavator if I could talk to his boss. The super came around, I asked for a job. Four years later I was a foreman for that company.

Go find some shops and talk to them. If they give you a shot, show up early, don't complain and work late. And for gods sake stay off the phone while your at work! That's a constant hassle with younger guys these days.

Comment

I’m from tn so really no pipelines around here and I don’t know anyone who does it if it was anywhere close I would go to the job and try to get one only thing around here pipe Is production I’m in a factory now tig welding on dies and piston parts and I enjoy the welding just not the place

Comment

Google "natural gas pipeline welder jobs"
                      Work from there.
                      They are laying them everywhere.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                      X