Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sell Multimatic 215 and buy Bobcat 225 or another welder/generator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell Multimatic 215 and buy Bobcat 225 or another welder/generator?

This may seem silly because I am a newbie welder and by no means make a living at it, but I travel most of the time in my truck and 5th wheel and I do not have a portable generator which will run my welder. This has led to me not being able to weld some things I'd like to.

Lifting my huge 9500 watt generator was a no-go so I sold it off. I've been thinking of putting a flatbed on my dually, and since I've also been having trouble with my portable 2500 watt generator have been wondering if I should sell the Multimatic 215, forego buying another portable inverter generator, and just buy a welder/generator that I can use for power and weld if I want to, killing two birds with one stone. I know it's overkill, but I'm looking at $1,200 for another Honda portable, and I could use that money and whatever I sold the MM215 for (like brand new) to just upgrade. Thoughts?

What do you want to weld? Is stick welding adequate for your needs?

Comment

Or mount an onboard genset for your RV. Probably be cheaper than a flatbed and a bobcat.

Comment

Buy the Bobcat and keep the 215.
        You're never gonna make money on welding equipment.....but you could become more versatile.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

That's an even better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
            Buy the Bobcat and keep the 215.
            You're never gonna make money on welding equipment.....but you could become more versatile.
            Hahaha. The problem I have is I have TOO MUCH STUFF! I ended up buying the new Honda anyway today because realistically I couldn't wait until I'd be ready for the Bobcat, and I didn't want that massive thing in the back of my pickup right now. I just like the idea of a generator welder so I don't have to deal with wheeling around a massive generator. I am tired of lifting heavy things and my back isn't what it used to be.

Comment

A Honda, a bobcat and a 215. Perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                What do you want to weld? Is stick welding adequate for your needs?
                What I wanted to do was fabricate a rustic door handle for a custom shed I just built for a friend. I ended up just buying some Chinese job at the hardware store, but not what I wanted.

I have some other things in mind, too, not to mention the fact that I always seem to have something broken that needs repair on my truck, etc.

Comment

Sounds like you would miss the versatility of the 215. Good choice with the Honda, I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                    Sounds like you would miss the versatility of the 215. Good choice with the Honda, I'd say.
                    The Honda won't run the welder. That's the problem, I either need to pick up another generator or a gen/welder.

Comment

How big of a Honda did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                        How big of a Honda did you get?
                        Just the little 2200i. I had a Westinghouse iPro2500 that failed.

I have no idea how many watts is needed to run the Multimatic 215, but I know it's a lot more than 2200.

Comment

I took my little maxstar with me during drag week a couple years ago. Before we left, I tested it out to see got far I could push it without tripping the breaker. Set to tig, as hot as it would go (100amps on 115v), no problems. Just very limited. Stick welding, max diameter was 1/16" 7018 and I ran about ten rods back to back. Push it to 3/32 rod, could only burn half the rod, maybe. So give it a try, see what you can do.

Comment

Ryan, did you use a wall receptacle when you tested the Master on 120v?

wall power is a lot different than generator power even though they both might be 120v 15amp receptacles.

the wall outlet is backed up by the Power Company generator

I could not run my Passport on my Honda 2000. I had to use 2 Honda 2000 and a parallel kit for it to work.

Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Nope, tested it on the Honda genset. Wanted to know what I could repair on the long lonely road at drag week if something catastrophic failed. But that maxstar is a much smaller machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X