Shakey hands and cancer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakey hands and cancer

I was diagnosed in March with cancer in my left kidney, pelvis and spine. I've underwent radiation, surgery to remove the left kidney, and now on a chemotherapy treatment. I'm 4 doses in and feel like getting in the shop messing around some now but my hands are shaky. I was wondering if any of you fellas have went through this and how did you deal with the shakes? Any kind of supplements, food or drinks that help. I bought a new dynasty 400 and haven't felt like messing with it but I am in the mood and feeling good enough now to get out and do something... preferably with my new toy. If not I will wing it and see if I can overcome it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    DYNASTY 400
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX Feeder
    30a spoolgun

Harris O/A
    Cincinnati lathe
    Acer Ultima "Bridgeport Mill"
    340hp Quincy and 400 gallon of air
    Other doodads and a stoker coal stove

I've never gone through what you're having to do, and I'm glad you're here with us. The only thing I can talk about is my elbow surgery a couple years ago. I couldn't hold the tig torch for a good long while. I started slow, switched hands often and planned my welds for such.

I think you'll find a way to play with your toy. I hope you will at least. Get back in the swing of things, probably be good rehab too.

Comment

Tungsten dip. Dip dip. Dip. Dip
      DYNASTY 400
      XMT 350 CC/CV
      S74DX Feeder
      30a spoolgun

Harris O/A
      Cincinnati lathe

Comment

Been thinking about this for a while?

"CBD
        Has Shown A Positive Effect On
        Tremors
        And
        Hand
        Shaking. To understand why
        CBD
        helps
        tremors
        , one has to understand
        CBD
        CBD
        is a cannabinoid found in both Hemp and Marijuana. It's not psychoactive."

You mentioned cancer and I mention weed? What a world we live in? I'm not saying go smoke the herb. I'm saying CBD treatments have been shown to benefit some people.
        Don't rule it out. Do some research. While I doubt your looking to get high, although I wouldn't rule it out if you haven't scratched it off the list already, CBD's have helped many people who were failed with other treatments because someone pushed a different profit agenda? After that, stay hydrated, eat healthy. Easy on the red meats and more salads.

Welding...remember to use your body for support. Arms at you side. Rest and slide you hand /wrist. Avoid over extending your reach. You can do one drop at a time and reach the same end goal. Plan you attack. A less pretty weld is still a weld and even pretty ones hide defects. Don't worry about ugly, they make grinders and sell black paint for a reason.

Anyways...any pictures of the dip, dip, dip? You shaking up and down or forward and back? Shaking like a tree in a breeze or a dog pinching a razor blade? I'm asking because I don't know if your 25 or 85, it could be some nerves, depth perception as well as tremors?

You could try adapting guide wheels to the torch to give you stand off and inclination then all you have to do is roll and push. As for feeding the rod, I recall seeing some one who made a hand held feeder, couple of drive rolls, and if memory serves, operated with a foot pedal to feed wire out. Awkward maybe, but if its what you want to do for fun it could be worth doing. You don't need to dip, you could lay the rod down and melt it, one mild push and a drop at a time.

Like I said...I've been thinking about this for a while. Hope it helps.

Comment

I'm gonna try the Cannabis oils this evening. Have a bottle on the why. I dont shake until I get down to make a tight arc then it's like I put a death choke on the torch. I did some stick welding the other night on a little farm project for the neighbors and I shook like a dog poopin razor blades. It's like I'm ok till I get right down to it and I put a death grip hold on the stinger. Something I'm going to have to relearn. I just gonna have to learn to be patient I guess. No I'm not lookin to get "high". I just feel fortunate that I feel like actually doing something let alone being here instead of pushing up daisies. Good lord has blessed me for another day. After get news and going through this I still have to call it a blessing. I see things differently and what was once a worrisome stressful really didn't amount to a hill of beans. What we take for granted are the important things in life ladies and gentlemen. It's our family and loved ones, it's our pets, neighbors, our skill set and the ability to use our hands to create almost anything our minds can dream up and most importantly it's our health. Please is any of you guys and gals read this take care of your body and mind. I am just a guy in the woods with fancy welding equipment in a 2 bay garage. I am no professional by any means. I used the fancy welding equipment as a crutch to make up for my short comings in the skills department. I use to turn out "ok" work. Some great, some not so great and I can say this... what is in this post is probably the most important thing you will read on this forum. Take care of your loved ones and take care of yourself because in the end that's all that matters.
          DYNASTY 400
          XMT 350 CC/CV
          S74DX Feeder
          30a spoolgun

Harris O/A
          Cincinnati lathe

Comment

I hope you find it helps. I sat on the fence with the suggestion, and quite frankly, a little relaxation probably wouldn't hurt you either. Doctors prescribe pills for anxiety, the THC side has been known to help with that. I'm just saying, who's too sit in judgment?

In the bigger picture...

"
            What we take for granted are the important things in life ladies and gentlemen. It's our family and loved ones, it's our pets, neighbors, our skill set and the ability to use our hands to create almost anything our minds can dream up and most importantly it's our health.
            "

True that. And as was mentioned, feeling better and wanting to do something again is a good thing and will be beneficial to you.

"
            Take care of your loved ones and take care of yourself because in the end that's all that matters.
            "

Solid advice. Strange how it takes this to remind us?

And as far as that arc length goes, it's forgiving. More so if you use a blunter tungsten profile. Larger cup, gas lens and longer stick out.
            All the best.

Comment

Have an employee with Parkinson's (I believe it's somewhat advanced) and he is taking some medications that have dramatically helped -- he's one of the best welders I've seen (and you can still see his hands shaking a bit) ......

I think it boils down to --- do you want to do it,do you enjoy it and if so you'll be surprised what people can overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Auto_Tech View Post
                Have an employee with Parkinson's (I believe it's somewhat advanced) and he is taking some medications that have dramatically helped -- he's one of the best welders I've seen (and you can still see his hands shaking a bit) ......

I think it boils down to --- do you want to do it,do you enjoy it and if so you'll be surprised what people can overcome.
                True

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Thank you guys with all the help. ***** seems to do the trick with the Cannabis oils. Got rid of the shakes. Did some burning this evening on a couple girdles. Felt good and came out nice.
                  DYNASTY 400
                  XMT 350 CC/CV
                  S74DX Feeder
                  30a spoolgun

Harris O/A
                  Cincinnati lathe

Comment

Glad its working, SS.

Some of us old guys lose some of our ability to see, shake, lose hand strength, forget what we were doing or where we put that tool we were just using, and acquire other vissistudes of age. One way to maintain a reasonably good attitude about what you can still do is to look at threads with photos of horrible amateur welds (check Welding Web's eighty page "Weld Fail" thread. Because no matter how you shake, or lose track of the joint, or whatever, you STILL KNOW HOW, you still know when a weld is sound even if its not so pretty anymore, you still have your timing and feel and technique, you still know how to fix a weld that went wrong. And that's a lot. You aren't going to do work that falls apart on the road or in the field.

Comment

I can do this peculiar weave that young folks can't replicate ..

Comment

I confess, I found that funny? "
                        this peculiar weave" Cracked me up.

I'm glad too hear the CBD oils were of benefit. Back in the saddle again! Completing a project, that's a melatonin special, feels good and hopefully many more as mentioned.

Don't rule out crafting some torch /gun aids. If you think of the problems, you'll find solutions. Somewhere between the guy holding a gun and a multi axis robotic arm is the middle ground undeveloped waiting for a thinker to solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X