need TIG suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need TIG suggestions

I am looking to buy a TIG and want recommendations. I see some are DC and some are AC/DC. Not sure what the difference is. I am new to welding and still learning. Thank you for any information.

What's your budget?

Comment

Around 2000

Comment

What metals do you want to weld? What thicknesses? What electrical outlets do you have available and what amperage can they support? Will this be for play (weekend/garage warrior) or for work to bring in primary income?
        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
        Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
        Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Probably weld 3/8 thick. Mostly steel but I want the ability to do aluminum. I am a DYI type and not a pro. But I want a good machine that I can grow into not out of. Thanks

Comment

Forgot. I got both 110 and 220

Comment

$2000 can go a long way, especially in the used market. DC tig machines are far more affordable. Add AC hi freq, the prices jumps substantially. Why dual voltage? Are you looking for a go anywhere, do anything machine. To me it's just not necessary most of the time and I'm not willing to pay for it, because it will increase the cost.

Steer clear of the Chinese imports, that's my opinion and that's from first hand experience, especially in the customer service department.

If you have the room, a means to move it and the power to run it, you can find some good prices on quality used, older transformer machines that will probably be around forever.

As for growing into a machine, something 200 amps or more, has quality low end arc starts and...this is a big one....you can get parts for at your LWS. Forge that relationship now and it will pay off in the long run.

A syncrowave 200-something sounds like it might be a good fit for your needs.

Comment

The requirements to TIG weld 3/8" aluminum are no where near as cheap to weld 3/8" steel. I would triple the budget if you are looking to buy new.
                HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
                Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Originally posted by Fonedoctr View Post
                  I am looking to buy a TIG and want recommendations. I see some are DC and some are AC/DC. Not sure what the difference is. I am new to welding and still learning. Thank you for any information.
                  You'll need AC for aluminum.

Comment

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...welders-m00488 You can get it with or without the spoolgun...Bob
                    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by Fonedoctr View Post
                      As stated you'll need a AC/DC machine, in that price range, among the major brands is the Lincoln Squarewave 200 and the Miller Syncrowave 210, although the Miller is more $$. I would recommend NOT buying a Miller Diversion.

You don't provide a location, but if you're in a larger city watch Craigslist, I see Syncrowaves every so often, go to your LWS and ask if they have any used machines, or know of any of their customers that might.

if you could spend more look at the InverTig from USAweld, you would not grow out of that
                      Richard

Comment

Thank you all for the great information.

Comment

Working...
                        X