wire spool issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire spool issues

hello i have a millermatic 200 that has recently started having wire spool issues.no matter what size of spool i put on ,it binds up.i have checked,rechecked order of washers felt washers per manual and those are correct. spring is in good shape as well. and it now backs off nut on end and never has done that before.any input or suggestions is greatly appreciated thank you

the spool itself binds up and won't allow feeding? If everything is per-the-manual, and the parts are in good shape, then it's gotta be something simple that got "messed up" along the way.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

If the spool is turning the nut of the doofloppy that holds tension on the spindle, then you have it in there wrong. That’s the only thing I can figure. I’ve never looked at the directions as to how it goes together, I’ve just assembled it how I think it should be. It’s likely I’m using parts that I had laying around too. Try using a different nut. Maybe one of those nuts with the plastic locking ring inside of it or a stover nut should work even better.

Comment

Originally posted by fabricating fool View Post
        hello i have a millermatic 200 that has recently started having wire spool issues.no matter what size of spool i put on ,it binds up.i have checked,rechecked order of washers felt washers per manual and those are correct. spring is in good shape as well. and it now backs off nut on end and never has done that before.any input or suggestions is greatly appreciated thank you
        Those kind of responses you can expect too receive when someone is either to busy, to lazy or just doesn't know?

Tell you what. Put it back together. Spool attached no wire fed.
        Give it a spin. It should rotate freely, if it doesn't, you need a spool adapter so the spool fits the shaft? Or you have the spool wrong face out?
        If it does, adjust tightness like a car wheel bearing, spin until friction from the side pressure of adjustment stops the rotation, then back off slightly. The goal is to prevent the wire from backing loose when the trigger is released.

Make sure the wire is being fed properly, aligned to the first guide tube with minimal angle of entry. Check it, the guide tube, they become plugged, grooves wear in them, and are a common feed issue.
        Turn the machine on and squeeze the trigger, watch the drive rolls. Low to high WFS. Is speed adjusted smoothly? Are the grooves in the drive rolls clean or filled with particles? Remove, wire brush and reinstall.
        Matched to the size and type of wire, confirm they do. Turn the machine off.

At this point you've checked the back half and you move to the front half.
        Remove the nozzle, contact tip and gas diffuser. Then the gun cable assembly. Visually inspect the wire guide tube leading into the cable assembly. If it looks good set it down and hand feed a length of wire, pulling from the spool the tension of which you have set, through the guide tube over the drive roll and with a excess extending past the drive rolls, clamp the drive rolls holding the wire in place.

With the machine off, r
        einstall the gun and once installed turn the machine on again and feed the wire threw, no gas diffuser and contact tip installed out the end, 6" to a foot. Turn the machine off.
        Something to grab. Disconnect the drive rolls and judge the effort required to pull wire through the cable assembly. If it doesn't pull through with ease suspect the cable is blocked or kinked and replace. Again, with the machine off, you could extend more wire tie off the end and by disconnecting the gun cable and with the drive rolls tightened down securing the wire, slide the assembly over the wire as well to confirm.

With a need to mention matching the cable liner to the wire and wire type, the biggest issue is that and improper cutting to length when fitting.

A far as the diffuser goes, screwed in place it should snug to the end of the liner with no gaps.

Before installing the tip, check the end of the tip for oval wearing, tapering to the orifice and with a small length of wire, slide the tip over the wire feeling for scratchy texture in the slide, indications of internal arcing.

While I'm sure most of this stuff seems redundant, If you found it of some redeeming value tell your friends.
        Hope it helps?

One thing for sure, when the check engine light comes on and the code reads O2 sensor, most don't check an air filter.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          If the spool is turning the nut of the doofloppy that holds tension on the spindle, then you have it in there wrong. That’s the only thing I can figure. I’ve never looked at the directions as to how it goes together, I’ve just assembled it how I think it should be. It’s likely I’m using parts that I had laying around too. Try using a different nut. Maybe one of those nuts with the plastic locking ring inside of it or a stover nut should work even better.
          Ryan,
          What's up with the apostrophies (or however you spell them)
          Is it the way the forum program interpets your I-phone?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by fabricating fool View Post

Has the key on the keyed washed sheared off? It is what keeps the nut from backing off. Or is the keyway damaged?

---Meltedmetal

Comment

Ya, I looks like the forum and the iPhone app don’t exactly translate. It is making me crazy, both the poor grammar and trying to remember to not use contractions. It has to be making people’s eyeballs hurt. I apologize.

Comment

On page 5-13 and 5-14 shows pictures of the spool assembly. https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...53392F_MIL.pdf

Comment

Remove the nut and spool part that holds the wire. Clean off that big 5/8" bolt and add some oil and put it back together...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

thank you so much everybody that responded with an idea as to how to correct the problem.the only thing i am sure about is spool is on correct if it wasnt,wouldent it unspool off top of reel instead of bottom?guess im not even sure about that.all washers are in order per miller manual.i will change nut and clean 5/8 inch bolt.also check key on washer and keyway. and to Noel if i cannot find anything wrong with setup then i will address all remedies you informed me of in said order again thank you so much for all responses

Comment

Hi ryanjones2150 we apologize for the formatting issues with the iPhone app. Our team looked into it, and it should be all fixed now. Your comments in this thread appear to have updated to show correct formatting. Please let us know if you are still having troubles. Thanks!

Comment

Thank for solving that, it'll make me less cross eyed now and probably save other guys' headaches.

Comment

Working...
                        X