Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YouYou saw it here first !!! 50-ft water cooled stick welding stinger!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouYou saw it here first !!! 50-ft water cooled stick welding stinger!

I dunno what happened with the thread title, but anyways...

Well, it freakin worked! A world first! Water-cooled stick welding stinger, powered by HTP America! :laugh: This is just the Beta version 0.9. Now that I know it works, gonna play around the the connections to make it solid. With only two tiny hoses (power hose and water return), it's light as a feather.

Hooked it up to the good ol' HTP Invertig 221. Eventually it will probably migrate to the Pro Pulse 300. The yellow sheath is a 1" ID kevlar sleeve. I'm probably gonna use another form of protection on top of that though.

Last edited by OscarJr; 07-19-2018, 08:24 PM.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Got a bunch of stick welding coming up do ya, Oscar?

Pretty cool work.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
      Got a bunch of stick welding coming up do ya, Oscar?

Pretty cool work.
      Not yet, but that's why I made it, for whenever I need it. Plus I had ordered that extra water cooler from HTP so I wanna give it some excercise and let it stretch it's legs. If anything I should miniaturize it as stick welding (for my purposes anyways) is usually done at a much lower amperage than some TIG. I bet I could get away with a reservoir half the size and a radiator half the size as well.

Comment

I could

Comment

Looks like most my post vanished. I tried using the website again since the phone app translates punctuation as gibber jabber....

what I said was I could

Comment

Still cut my post off!! Never mind Oscar....the forum isn

Comment

Grrrr

Comment

I've been pondering your post for a bit?
                Congratulations! I'm not sure it's going to catch on but you never know?

While I admittedly don't understand why you did it, nor do I see a great value in the effort or money extended, I do admire the thinking going in and the effort and expense spent that it took to accomplish the task.

What I do see however, is a risk of injury due to electric shock and a water supply. I see a bulky supply cable, resistance in the electrical circuit, and simplicity made complicated? Not to be a negative electron but still leaving me with wondering why?

Could you enlighten me on the rational for the effort? If you just stuck an electrode into the collet body matching the diameter of the rod and tightened it in a water cooled GTAW torch, wouldn't you have accomplished the same thing but with less effort?

If it was however because you found an excess of heat building up in the handle of the electrode holder, I could offer some possibilities as to why? The heat is from resistance. The possibilities why however has me thinking when you removed the original multi stranded cable, was the lug end showing a frayed and bunched up discolored birds nest being exposed? Resistance.

The cable you removed, at the part it enters into the bottom of the handle did it appear to be necked down? Squeezed due to flexing from lack of support? Slice the cable open and do an autopsy.
                You'll probably find the inside to be burnt in appearance, the strands broken and like a broken down car in the middle lane of an L.A. freeway, a source of resistance to the flow of traffic which is electrons flowing through a circuit.

While the easy is to suggest a lighter gauge length welding cable whip on the end of a heavier lead in the cable from the power source, trimming back worn or damaged cables to improve arc characteristics lost due to resistance, especially when using a invertor power source, is an important consideration to maximum welding performance.

But it shows crafty and I like that.

Comment

There is no more of a risk of electric shock with this stinger than there would be from using a water-cooled TIG torch. I have yet to read of any deaths due to TIG welding using water cooled torches, lol. I just wanted a longer length, but I didn't want big ol' 50ft coiled section of 2 or 0 gauge wire. I wanted something light. Yes you can use a TIG torch with the appropriate collet setup, BUT 1) I don't want to use my TIG torch setup (which is 25') to stick weld 2) I don't want to ruin my very nice Weld Tec i-head roto-head TIG torch with all the sparks and smoke that inevitable arise from stick welding. It literally has nothing to do with heat generated at the stinger. That Tweco stinger that I used was literally brand new. No old cable to check/investigate/surgically inspect/autopsy what so ever. I do have another stinger that I used for stick welding, but this wasn't it. This was all brand new parts, including that $8 chinese 24W tig torch that I mutilated in the name of science. This was never meant to "catch on". I literally could care less if anyone ever followed these footsteps, as this is/was for me.
                  Last edited by OscarJr; 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

You make a solid connection with a GTAW water cooled torch but when it comes to safety, remember there wasn't that risk before and there is now? But I was just wondering why?
                    If nothing else, you mentioned in the name of science, I'm down with that. Credit to the man in the ring who does.
                    Now while I'm not so sure about it catching on either, someone will see what you've done and it will I'm sure have them thinking bigger things as a result.
                    I wasn't sure why so I asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
                      You make a solid connection with a GTAW water cooled torch but when it comes to safety, remember there wasn't that risk before and there is now? But I was just wondering why?
                      If nothing else, you mentioned in the name of science, I'm down with that. Credit to the man in the ring who does.
                      Now while I'm not so sure about it catching on either, someone will see what you've done and it will I'm sure have them thinking bigger things as a result.
                      I wasn't sure why so I asked.
                      I really don't see the risk in it at all. Perhaps it was the way I worded it, so I reworded it in my previous post.

Comment

I think it

Comment

I don’t know what the forum has against me all of a sudden, using the website, my posts keep getting chopped off....

I was trying, again, to say....I think it’s cool Oscar.

Comment

yea it definitely doesn't like you today. Got it.

Comment

Speaking of science, a lot of people have trouble striking an arc with the SMAW process? Ever wonder if a secondary high frequency current would help in over coming that difficulty? Maybe you have, maybe you haven't? In the name of science, I can say first hand I did and it does.
                              Like a charm. 7018 restarts, bang, instant.
                              However, It comes as I discovered, with greater risk.

While that electrode may be placed in the holder with the machine off, it becomes electrically hot with it on.
                              Depending on the coating, high metallic content makes it easy to jump from anywhere along the rod to the first conductor to ground it finds.

All in the name of science, if your going to try this, don't think you can pinch the rod between your fingers, or touch the electrode surface with the machine running, hold only by the insulated holder.
                              And if you want to but can't because you don't have a high frequency offering power source, pulling a plug wire off a running engine has about the same effect in feel and an indicator why they don't add it as a feature.

My posting the picture of the young fella holding those flood welding electrodes with a diameter of 3/4". I'm thinking there has to be some water cooling going on with those?

Comment

Working...
                              X