Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone own or use a Kalamazoo belt sander ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone own or use a Kalamazoo belt sander ?

Does anyone use or own a Kalamazoo 4" X 36" belt sander , model S4, S4S or S4S-1 , Looking at them for medium duty deburring, grinding, rounding off corners, squaring up saw cuts etc... nothing to big ! Small belt driven sanders don't cut it, the direct drive to the motor seems like it would be very sturdy on those models, a bit pricey but probably worth it ? Any past experience reviews would be appreciated, thanks.

While I cant speak towards a Kalamazoo, I've got a used over seas brand something belt and disc combination that seems to serve a purpose for just that? I've only recently changed to a metal specific disc and it was pretty pricy or so I thought? Made in Germany. When he told me the price I told him I didn't need a spare.
    I have yet to glue it into place, or replace the belt. I'll be less impulsive, more thrifty making that purchase and will probably think a little deeper into whether I need to remove metal or finish metal in making that choice.
    On that note, some times you do get what you pay for? I recently tested some zip cuts. Not too plug a product, But inch for inch, Walter wins.

Comment

I have a Ellis belt grinder I'm very happy with. It has a realtively small foot print and can be tucked away in small spaces. I mostly work with 3/16 up to 1/2' materials.

Comment

Originally posted by des537 View Post
        Does anyone use or own a Kalamazoo 4" X 36" belt sander , model S4, S4S or S4S-1 , Looking at them for medium duty deburring, grinding, rounding off corners, squaring up saw cuts etc... nothing to big ! Small belt driven sanders don't cut it, the direct drive to the motor seems like it would be very sturdy on those models, a bit pricey but probably worth it ? Any past experience reviews would be appreciated, thanks.
        I/we used one daily on my day job for the 12 years before I retired. We used it heavily and some abused it. I purchased one for my shop about 8 years ago. I am totally satisfied.
        The machine is pricey but not as pricey as two or three cheap ones that won't do the job.
        I can't remember the model number off-hand but I will verify it tomorrow for you.

HTH
        Griff

PS
        Well, I've let you down. My Kalamazoo is an S6 which is a 6x48 belt with a 3hp motor.
        It is still a great machine.
        Last edited by griff01; 07-16-2018, 08:58 AM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Thanks for the input guy's !

Comment

Working...
          X