MM 185 Drive rolls stopped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM 185 Drive rolls stopped

OK, my trusty old 185 just stopped feeding the wire. Everything else is working. We are real busy so all I have done is pressed the 2 reset buttons above the drive roller. and taken off the cover to look at the relays. All looks good but the drive rolls don't move. What do I do next? Ideas? Don't really want to think so guys tell me what to check next. We have an extra machine so production continues but I want my little guy working again.

Ahhh. Try taking the gun apart and see if you can make things wirrrrr by hot wiring the trigger? My best guess? And it was a guess. Just the first thought running through my head. Second thought was searching an owners manual for advice but taking things apart is kind fun, I can understand why it came first. Good luck with that.

Comment

Pull the trigger both the contactor and the relay operate so I don't think it is the trigger. The signal gets lost somewhere else. Could be the drive roll motor fried. Just don't have time right now to dig into it. Just looking for for more suggestions on what could be the problem. Got any other ideas Noel?

Comment

I do actually, just not all of them good. Ok...try this. Depending on the size of wire, the drive rolls can slip. Think .023 in .030 drive rolls. The drive rolls in the machine, confirm by sight that with the squeezing of the trigger, you mention contactor and relay clicking, they are actually not spinning or they are and slipping on the wire. After that...I'd get my meter and the manual. I know very little about these things but it must be a variable speed motor, and a dial to variable the speed. If the relay send out power when it activated, check for power to the drive motor, from the motor. You could if your brave, and again, I'm the no fear some brains kind of fellow, take the drive out and check to see the thing spins freely. No body lubes those things? As well, it would be a good time to check continuity of the motor. Taking things apart is also as a good time to blow it out, and hope for the best. The switch you can test about the same way. No fear, just make sure the power is off, read the part about capacitors and preventing electric shock in the manual...One last thing, I'm offering generic knowledge. I'm thinking though that before I'd think to deeply with fear of the worst that could go wrong, if the bushing are dry that support the motor spinning freely, it could be a simply fix after all? I'm guessing it could be worn dry bushings but ya never know? In the bigger picture, it's like a starter in a car. Most of those fail the same way.

Comment

Remove the wire from the drive/gun. Lift up the top roll and make sure the bottom one is or isn't moving with the gun trigger. Sometimes the contactor will stick and you think its working and it isn't. I have a MM185 and been thru this. The MM185 was the best mig Miller ever made...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Wire is out, top roll up, bottom roll is not moving. When I pull the trigger the little black square in the middle of the contactor goes in, when I let go of the trigger that little square comes back out. I think that means it's working. The relay next to it works also, when you pull the trigger you can see the contacts inside it move, upon releasing the trigger they return. My next step will be to grab a meter and start testing. Maybe I'll even look for some trouble shooting instructions. Just like Ryan I love Instructions. And yes Bob this is the best little MIG machine out there.

Comment

Well, I was spending the last 20 minutes looking over a pdf of your machine. Between turning the wiring diagram side way, and then reversing the view back again to see the parts break down and explanation of what said part was, on the various pages of part and component breakdowns, where it fit in as far as wiring goes, I've come to a conclusion or three.
              1) It appears it's a 24v dc motor.
              2) Going by the picture, it has a small gear box like a power window motor.
              3) I'd bet your problem is in there.
              I'm sure the motor is fine. Just resistance in the gear box preventing it from turning. The window doesn't go up? Now, is the motor weak? Possibly, but...I'm offering my very limited professional opinion on a subject I know little about, I'm using my transference of knowledge to support it however.
              So...when you do your checks and discover it leads you back to the motor assemble, before you order another, take it apart. While it's probably riveted together, maybe RSW? Most things come apart. I'm sure with a cleaning and a lube it's window up.
              To support my theory, picture this.
              ..Somewhere on an assembly line some one is squirting or dabbing grease? Now maybe he's squeezing the trigger and...
              That's all I've got but I'll be watching to see what you find as the problem?

Comment

I wonder if you pull the drive wheel off and gently give the shaft a twist in the right direction it would turn the motor off the spot its sitting on now an make something good happen? If the gear box was jambed the circut breaker would pop, No?

Comment

Working...
                X