X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knurled drive rolls for MM 180

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...e-rolls-202926

​​​​​​​https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...e-pkg-2-226190
    Last edited by tackit; 06-15-2018, 10:30 AM.

Second time in a month Miller hasn't returned my call. I left a message around 1:30 today, I was told they only have one person answering the phone on friday afternoons.

Anyway does anyone know if the MM180's factory installed liner and wire guide will handle .045 wire, or do I need to buy a new liner and wire guide? The operating manual says it can run 045 but doesn't say I need to buy a new liner and guide to do it.

Comment

I'm going to say probably? One way to find out however is through discovery. All it takes is poking a piece in right? Now...that's not quite true. Even if it fits, you then have to worry about friction with the cast and helix of the wire scraping on the insides of the coil liner as it's being push through. I think however it's size will prevent it from fitting hence the need for a new liner, but …you never know till you try.

Comment

I think it will fit with .045 But a new liner is cheap if needed...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I haven't ever run or ordered 045 wire before so I don't have any to see if it fits the liner in the gun now. I hate to buy another liner I might not need, I have two backs up already.

Comment

Whats the part numbers on your liners?...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

194 012 is the .035-.045 Miller liner numbers...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

I googled Miller Matic 180 manual PDF.

194 011 LINER, monocoil .030/.035 wire x 15ft (consisting of) 1

194 012 LINER, monocoil .035/.045 wire x 15ft (consisting of) 1

Depending on the liner you have, probably.
                Last edited by Noel; 07-14-2018, 08:50 AM. Reason: Edited because for some reason my copy and paste skills are lacking

Comment

All 3 Miller guns M-10 the old 100, M-15 the old 150 and the M-25 all use the same liners...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

I have 172 challenger, a MM251, and the MM180, they all take the same liners. My replacement liners are 194011s, but because the manual says the MM180 can run 045 wire but doesn't say anything about having to replace the liner and wire guide to do it, I was thinking before I buy a new liner for MM180, which I'm going to leave set up for fluxcore and hardly ever be used, I'll see what Miller has to say, maybe the lightly used liner it came with will work.

Comment

Cast and helix. Cast is the diameter of an unrestrained loop and helix is the height of the coils spring. Wire of the same class will have different cast and helix based on the spool size. While the wire might physically fit in a liner, abrasion and resistance in pushing it through are the issues. The smaller the spool the tighter the spring and less straight the wire. I'm sure between the part numbers listed there is a reason and this would be it.

Comment

I'm ordering a new liner, tips and a roll of Lincoln Innershield NR-211-MP Flux Core Wire .045 X 10 lb Spool (ED016363) from IOC, but a .045 wire guide I can't find, hopefully IOC will be able to order one for me if they don't already have one in stock. Anyone like a different wire then Lincoln's based on weld quality not cost. Thank you.

Lincoln's .035 fluxcore's bead is pleasant to look at when the MM180 is set to 4/40 for welding 3/16 angle to 2" X 1/4" flat stock, but I think.045 would be a better choice for one pass welds on the range of materials I get into, .which is mostly 3/16 up to 3/8 and 1/2" on occasions. Am I making sense?

Loading the 2 lb spool of .035 was challenging for me, it kept wanting to come off the spool even when I had the tension on the spool set properly, I won't ever buy that spool size of fluxcore wire again because of how much wire I wasted loading it in the machine.
                        Last edited by tackit; 07-14-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

IOC didn't have the wire guide, I would have had to wait for it to come in so I found a guide, tips along with a two pack of genuine.Miller .045 liners for 16.99 and free shipping on Amazon, seems like good deal so I'm posting the address for the liners .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

I'm going out on a limb here, but if you can't find a .045 guide tube, find a drill and a bit. Sounds like your going strong. Remembering to buy the largest roll of wire you can fit in the machine will always be a solid purchase economically speaking and .045 flux core like .035 solid wire for size are the biggest volume sellers out there.

That said, with a larger spool you'll also find the wires cast and helix isn't as tight, it feeds easier and that helps to minimize wear especially at the contact tip. Those small spools can be troublesome, and costly to use.

I'd say score to the Amazon purchase. Bought one and got a second for free it seems? High five!.

I can't say much about Lincoln Innershield NR-211-MP Flux Core Wire but I have used self shielding flux core wires and they have a purpose and a place if a person chooses.
                            If I was going to offer up food for thought on why some wires and wire sizes seem to perform better or different, it would be due to the recipe of slag formers to gas formers, polarity characteristics and voltage out put parameters of the power source.
                            I'm not sure if this makes sense or not but you weld this wire like a stick electrode. Arc length is longer and while it sprays like a 6010 on straight polarity, the spray is used to pile the metal and keep slag at bay in the back.

That's how I remember it. Maybe you see it differently? One thing for sure, if there is a complaint about the usability of the wire, it's because someone has trapped slag and is doing some grumbling. Out doors it's a performer.

Comment

I'll probably never use the whole spool of wire in my lifetime, but it doesn't eat and I got it for $48.05 to the house, which isn't bad. but like you mentioned, wasting wire is bad news, it hurt more watching the wire come off the spool time and time again more than paying the 48 bucks for the 10 lb spool of wire.

I have three MIG machines, having the MM180 set up full time to run flux core is not going to become a wire changing and cable switching nuisance for me, and it probably will be used a lot more than I think it will be at this point.

This fall I plan to work on my trailer outside my congested shop, with my extension cord, it will be easier to carry the MM180 to the trailer than running leads from my stick machine to the trailer and having to go back and forth changing settings.

Living 100 miles away round trip from the nearest welding supply presents a problem too, I've learned its best to have more than you need of everything.

Thanks for commenting, I like to read what other welders have to say about their personal experiences and read their advice on working with welding products.
                              Last edited by tackit; 07-17-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X