Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Changed From Version to Version in the Miller Econotig?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Changed From Version to Version in the Miller Econotig?

I have owned two Econotigs. The face plate changed from version to version, as did the internal circuit board. The old circuit board was 164431, and the new circuit board is 165872.

What changed, as far as capabilities over the years?

What year did they stop making the Econotig?

I don't need to find myself. I'm always at my lathe.

The older machines foot control had full control of out put. On the newer machines the panel control sets max out put and the foot control is 0 to panel set. Just like most other tig welders.
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma

Comment

Originally posted by ccawgc View Post
      The older machines foot control had full control of out put. On the newer machines the panel control sets max out put and the foot control is 0 to panel set. Just like most other tig welders.
      OOOH! That's great to know! It would then pay to buy one of the Chinese foot pedals that sets the current limit with a dial on the foot pedal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RFCS-14-Foo...IAAOSwPCVYBXxo
      Last edited by buffumjr; 06-09-2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Found out they started making Econotig in the '90's, and stopped making Econotig in 2010. Too bad, great machine. Several versions. Sorry, few details. It was "replaced" by the Dynasty 210. The Dynasty 210 costs $3,600, far more than the Econotig. It weighs a mere 47 lbs. The Econotig weighs 140. The Dynasty is an inverter machine, while Econotig is transformer. Econotig has a lower duty cycle, but for the home user, it is adequate. For the pro, the stops will be annoying. If you have a pacemaker, the inverter may be dangerous, depending on the make and model of your pacemaker. The transformer machines are safer for pacemakers, but always be alert to discomforts and check with your cardiologist.

I'm enjoying my refurbed (by me ) old model Econotig. I have no plans to upgrade, as the life of a pro welder involves acrobatics and feats of strength I am no longer capable of.

I'm a home shop machinist, and creations or copies sometimes involve various welding, brazing, soldering operations. I like some of the things Kevin Caron (Youtube TIG artist) does, and may blunder clumsily into art.
        Another pursuit I dreamed of, in my '40's, for retirement, was to be a recreator of impossible to find replacement parts. Just send me a drawing, or the broken, older part, and I make it. I've done that a few times for model airplane engine parts.

I love my Econotig.
        Last edited by buffumjr; 06-11-2018, 05:22 AM.

Comment

By the serial number of my Econotig, I found it was made in 1995. By the US CPI calculator, the $1700 someone paid for it in 1995 would be worth $2845, today. That means the Maxstar 161 ($1510), or the Maxstar 210 ($2978) are two options the home user may want to consider.

As I now own the Econotig, free and clear, I'm not upgrading unless it's so fried I can't fix it. Even then, I'll consider an old Airco transformer TIG. If you follow Youtube, there's a New Jersey welder, Michael Reggie, who has one. I don't know the model number, but it looks robust.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjrPsNpPw9w Reggie uses water cooled TIG handles, and welds large thickness stuff. The only problem is floor real estate.
          Last edited by buffumjr; 06-23-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X