older mm 200 no power at the wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• older mm 200 no power at the wire

my welder lost power at the wire. also i noticed it arks on the welder frame. i think the problem is the wire labled b2 is loose with the broken spade in the female end. as near as i can tel this wire goes to Q2. im not sure where or what Q2 is. or if that is even the correct spot the wire goes. any help or suggestions will be apprecieated. thanks.

Wire b2? Miller doesn't use letter designations for control circuits. Q2 and Q1 are both on the motor drive control board.

What is the unit SN and what circuit diagram are you looking at?
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
    http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

sn# JF900401 diagram B-093-009-A. loose wire is labeled B1 wiith an arrow pointing to the termination. thank you for your time and help. I was hoping a senior member might reply. actual diagram is i refer to i found in the parts and wiring manual SPM-1303
      Last edited by jyexley; 05-28-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

if anything i mentioned seem irrelevant please disregard it. any suggestions you might have will be appreciated. thanks again.

Comment

the wire i mentioned comes from the T1 transformer. i will check voltage and report.

Comment

what you are calling B1 is most likely 81. 115volt supply to fuse holder. If fuse is bad contactor will not pull in with gun trigger.
            Drive motor will not run. Fuse F1 powers Sr1 bridge diode which in turn powers the motor control pcb and then Q2.
            what is arcing to the frame? From the diagram no circuits are connected to ground. So welding wire or any other wire touching the frame should not spark.
            Try measuring the voltage at where it sparks. see if it is AC or DC voltage and what voltage. 24, 115 or different.
            This will tell us where to look for the short. Transformer has a 24, 36, 115 control circuits plus the weld voltage.
            24vac is the gun trigger circuit. 36vac is the old style spool gun supply. 115 is the contactor, gas valve and fan motor.
            If wire 81 came loose from the fuse holder. the contactor will not pull in. but wire should feed. wire should be cold and will not arc to anything.
            You may have a short to the frame. Could be a piece of weld wire bridging an insulator or a damaged wire insulation.

Glenn 300 amp stick
            Millermatic 35
            L-tec plasma

Comment

thank you. im busy in the truck for a few more daays but i will re attach the wire to the fuse holder asap. should i check voltage between wire an frame? thnk you so much again for your advice.

Comment

I know nothing so don't listen to what I have to say, but you mention older Millermatic. You also mention the casing is energized...check the plastic insulators that the positive and negative terminals plug into, by design they lend them selves to abuse through bumping. A crack/ break in the inner step of the insulator between the plug front, frame and plug rear could explain the no power, and electrical live to the frame of the machine? But I know nothing other then it's a simple check to make.

Comment

You can try measuring the voltage. see if it is AC or DC and what value. Should be very little voltage on the case.
                  make sure the line plug is wired right. welder doesn't work right if a hot leg and ground are reversed.
                  Glenn 300 amp stick
                  Millermatic 35
                  L-tec plasma

Comment

If the fans runs and the motor feeds check the contactor. Coil and points. Or CR1 relay.

Comment

Working...
                    X