110v mig choices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110v mig choices

I'm not into bells and whistles. I just want welders to be welders. I've seen the changes in drive roller angle, and some ipm differences (according to the manual the newer 110v are slower), and the automatic settings - which I personally think if you're buying a miller you should know how to run it. When it all boils down though the specs on 110v machines are all the same across the board. 90 amps, 30 ocv, 4 taps, CV, etc.

So aside of biying into gadgets, why would I replace my millermatic 130xp with a 135 or 140? It runs great, if something fails I'm more than capable of repairing it. When the arc strikes and it all boils down to it, I couldn't tell a difference in any of them when I tried them out.

​​​​​​I'm looking for more experienced opinions from people who have ran at least 2 of the three machines to compare. I find the miller migs to be very forgiving on adjusting the wire feeder with minimal burnback and stubbing compared to all the Lincoln migs I've owned and not near as finicky to get set to run. So I do prefer the miller, i just can't tell a difference in how they weld from one 110v to another.

No reason to "upgrade" until the old one breaks and parts aren't available.

HH135, Lincoln SP-125, and the old Millermatic 130XP are just some of the 120V machines that have been in my shop. I currently have the Lincoln on the truck for emergencies.

Comment

I have the Hobart 140 (just got it off a friend) and the Lincoln 140c. The Lincoln 140c is not the same as a Lincoln you'll find at the big box stores. Either way, any particular reason you want a 115v mig? A dual voltage one would be the way to go these days, and then try to always run it on 230v.

Comment

The only difference that matters to you as a user between the C models in lincoln is they go from 10 to 18 volts for thin sheetmetal, where the other models start at 18.the rest of their range is the same voltage. I've never seen someone in a hobby position break the drive roller mount, which is the only piece of plastic. The rest of it is metal like the c model. Fine adjustment on top end is rather useless.

Comment

Working...
        X