No announcement yet.

making aluminum float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody still talking about water tight welds is irrelavent. Not what I meant. Even a monkey can weld water tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Winter Welding View Post
      Anybody still talking about water tight welds is irrelavent. Not what I meant. Even a monkey can weld water tight.
      That's what my ex boss told me ...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

I guess I don't understand your problem then. Your original post said welding won't make them water tight yet a monkey can do it and you still need to solve your water un tight issue. Or maybe you hired that monkey?

Comment

Yeah, I'm lost, too. Welds can be watertight, and you understand disburs..., er, displacement. What's the question again?

Comment

Originally posted by Winter Welding View Post
            One must be careful! That water disbursement will get you every time!

Griff

Comment

We weld pressure vessels all the time, you can buy aluminum threadolets, weld it up water tight and then insert the pipe plug, so you leave the plug out until your done welding.

Aluminum fuel tanks usually have a couple.

If your doing mig aluminum, its a little harder to make it water tight.

Comment

Try welding a nut to the shaft where the rope would connect. Use a bolt with an eye on the end to thread into the nut welded on the hook. This will leave you an opening on the hook to fill with some type of flotation. You could also weld nuts on the ends of the hooks if they are not part of the main tube, and use bolts to cap them after the hooks are filled.

Comment

Youtube SVSeeker - just made some floating Al oars in recent video.

AND used Mig....AND they floated...Dont overthink it....
                  TB 325EFI
                  12RC
                  30A/WC24
                  Multimatic 200
                  Spoolmate 100
                  Bluestar 2E DC
                  Hypertherm Max30 Air
                  Dynasty 210DX

Comment

Working...
                  X