making aluminum float

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making aluminum float

I don't need people teaching me about surface area and weight disbursment or what not. Just looking to make some extra cash. Live in a fishing town and one of the most common things people need here is a gaf hook/bouy catchers. They sink when they fall overboard. I want to make custom made ones and somehow make them float and charge double. Except what are some good ideas to make them float? Welding wont really allow them to be "water tight". And im wondering if maybe foaming the inside of the tubing will do anything?. Anyone got good ideas, post them, all ideas are good ideas. Thanks.

Maybe tig the front of the gaf/bouy catcher, and then do a colder mig on the back of it? So its water tight up front but just almost not water tight at the back?

Comment

Originally posted by Winter Welding View Post
      Welding wont really allow them to be "water tight".
      Say what? People make water tight welds on aluminum everyday...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by Winter Welding View Post
        I don't need people teaching me about surface area and weight disbursment or what not. Just looking to make some extra cash. Live in a fishing town and one of the most common things people need here is a gaf hook/bouy catchers. They sink when they fall overboard. I want to make custom made ones and somehow make them float and charge double. Except what are some good ideas to make them float? Welding wont really allow them to be "water tight". And im wondering if maybe foaming the inside of the tubing will do anything?. Anyone got good ideas, post them, all ideas are good ideas. Thanks.
        Water tight welds are made everyday. If your not capable of that quality of welding, ship them to me. I will only charge full price, not double.

Griff

Comment

Tie a rope to the end of the gaf hook bouy catcher thing. Not water proof, but sink to the bottom proof.

Comment

Yes, a proper weld will be water tight.

Another idea to supplement the buoyancy would be a big cork (or similar) grip. It can be wrapped for abrasion protection and longevity.

Comment

Not what i meant. You cant just weld a cell shut, it has to push air out somewhere. And tying a rope to a gaf hook is a bad idea considering the fact that they are being used to maintain nets. Basically its tubing that will be welded on both ends shut

Comment

Guess I have no idea what this thing does except be a hook. Instead of researching it, I'll let you supply the helpful information for your question.

Comment

I Tried to research, couldnt find anything on the subeject. Basically it catches bouys, gafs fish, helps move nets and lines, basically is a spearing hook.

Comment

It is possible to cap off water tight, on the last weld, before you finish the last 1/4" inch, stop welding and let the part cool, then you should be able to go back and cap the last spot
                    Richard

Comment

Oh, THAT's what he meant by you can't weld a cell shut and it has to let air push out. Well, yes, you can weld a cell shut and watertight. It's just a matter of technique and practice.

There is also the option of sealing the end with a very tight rubber plug. In the HVACR industry we routinely buy copper lines, coils, and compressors that have a rubber plug that holds the pressurized nitrogen storing charge.

Comment

I just got done welding up a water tight cube made from stainless steel. No reason you can't weld up both ends of an aluminum tube. I made six aluminum cubes a while back, 4"x4", water tight. In fact I put water inside of them before I finished the last weld. I also back purged with argon, which helps. A lot.

Comment

If you are not capable of welding it water tight then weld an aluminum pipe coupling on each end, then screw a pipe plug in with sealant. On second thought since your welds aren't water tight that won't work. How about threaded pipe and then a threaded cap, no welding involved.
                          MM250
                          Trailblazer 250g
                          22a feeder
                          Lincoln ac/dc 225
                          Victor O/A
                          MM200 black face
                          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                          Arco roto-phase model M
                          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                          Miller spectrum 875
                          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                          Syncrowave 250
                          RCCS-14

Comment

Duct tape. That fixes anything.

Comment

Only way to make it float is to make it weigh less than the water it displaces.

But you know all about "water disbursment" so I don't have to splain...

Comment

Working...
                              X