Which mig to get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which mig to get?

Hello, fans of Miller. I have been asking my questions on another site. I thought I would try to ask on here as well.

Here we go.

I have a Bobcat 250. I got it in 2016, new from Cyberweld. A year or so later, I got a AHP alpha tig.

I run the AHP off the Bobcat. I have not enough power in my shed to run that much power.

I want a mig welder.

I was all set to get a Millermatic 252 in June. But, someone from Miller told me it would not work off my Bobcat. They told me I should get a Millermatic 211.

People on the welding forum I go to, told me the 252 would work.

I am not sure which I should buy.

I

Originally posted by Glowzinski85 View Post
    Hello, fans of Miller. I have been asking my questions on another site. I thought I would try to ask on here as well.

Here we go.

I have a Bobcat 250. I got it in 2016, new from Cyberweld. A year or so later, I got a AHP alpha tig.

I run the AHP off the Bobcat. I have not enough power in my shed to run that much power.

I want a mig welder.

I was all set to get a Millermatic 252 in June. But, someone from Miller told me it would not work off my Bobcat. They told me I should get a Millermatic 211.

People on the welding forum I go to, told me the 252 would work.

I am not sure which I should buy.

I
    The 252 draws 46 amps on 220. The Bobcat has a 50 amp 220 receptacle. Yes it would work but you would better off getting a wire feeder instead a 252.

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
      ...The 252 draws 46 amps on 220. The Bobcat has a 50 amp 220 receptacle...
      The Bobcat 250 is only capable of supplying 39.5A of continuous 240V power.

At its rated output of 200A, the Millermatic 252 needs about 42A of input power. It will need even more if using it at higher outputs. It is capable of up to 300A of output.

Glowzinsky85: It will only draw what it needs, and would work fine at lower outputs. The Bobcat is known for being a clean power generator. That said, if Miller says it's not clean enough, then go with what they said, but you didn't tell us WHY you were told it wouldn't work.
      Last edited by MAC702; 05-28-2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Yes, well, haha, I saved the email. What they said is

<We do not recommend running the Millermatic 250 on a generator because the generators cannot keep up with the peak current draw needed to start the arc. If you need this much welding power I would recommend purchasing a SuitCase

Comment

Originally posted by Glowzinski85 View Post
          Yes, well, haha, I saved the email. What they said is

<We do not recommend running the Millermatic 250 on a generator because the generators cannot keep up with the peak current draw needed to start the arc. If you need this much welding power I would recommend purchasing a SuitCase
          And that is true at its rated output. If you are limited to always powering it with the Bobcat, then you are wasting money getting a machine as capable as the MM252. If you need more power at the arc and still using the Bobcat, then, yes, you can do it with a SuitCase RC feeder and not wasting another transformer in a Millermatic.

Comment

You are much better off purchasing a 12vs feeder. Since your running the bobcat anyway, the suitecase suites your needs much better.
            I run a thermal arc hefty 2 feeder from my 250 bobcat. I can use it in the shop with gas shielded wire or out in the field with self shielded flux cor wire. You can't use the 12rc feeder with a bobcat as there is no remote hook up. The 12vs feeder will work great on the bobcat though.
            Lincoln Idealarc 250
            Miller Bobcat 250
            Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
            Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
              ...You can't use the 12rc feeder with a bobcat as there is no remote hook up. The 12vs feeder will work great on the bobcat though.
              Didn't think about that. Thanks. I'm still used to my old Trailblazer 301G.

Comment

Working...
              X