Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding during the day (light leaks in helmet)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding during the day (light leaks in helmet)

I'm fairly new at this, but how do you deal with light leaks in your helmet during the day? I have light coming in through the back and it's blinding me to where I lose myself on the work. Any suggestions are welcome, much thanks.

Yup it sucks. I have welded outside for the last 40 years off and on. Somedays my autodark doesn't work well so I go to a fixed shade to see. Cut up an old welding jacket to attach over the back of your hood. Think of the oldtime photographers and their box cameras on legs...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I'm not a fan of sunlight blasting my skin to begin with, so whenever I work outside in a confined area, I set up my pop up canopy. Worth every penny, and I've used it on at least 75 jobs so far.

Comment

Originally posted by dirt74 View Post
        I'm fairly new at this, but how do you deal with light leaks in your helmet during the day? I have light coming in through the back and it's blinding me to where I lose myself on the work. Any suggestions are welcome, much thanks.
        Thanks, soon as I can come up with a good size scrap of leather I will likely do this, till then I'll put up my easy up canopy

Comment

Only weld at night.

Comment

You don't need a leather curtain in the back unless you are also trying to shield from hot sparks or something. Even a piece of scrap cloth hanging off the back (painter's rag or anything) blocks the sun.

Especially when welding at night, when your eyes are dilated, make sure you always wear your clear safety glasses under your hood. Some of the UV light from welding bounces off the objects behind you, into your hood, and into your unprotected eyes if you don't.

Comment

I've got it squared away, the pop up canopy is great. It sure is nice to see what I'm doing.

Comment

Working...
              X