More TIG help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More TIG help

Ran low on argon, exchanged cylinder at tractor supply company. Same 330 cu-ft cylinder. Prior my welding wasn
    Attached Files
    Last edited by junkyardwarrior; 04-27-2018, 01:00 PM.

Never saw a 330 cf cylinder at tractor supply...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

For some reason the post didn't make it through completely?

Anyway....I ran low on Argon and exchanged the cylinder at local TSC. The original bottle was a little hard to weld with when I got it (I bought it used), but at the same time the welder was also new, and I haven't TIG'd in, gosh, 20+ years. So I was green, and I blamed my issues on my lack of experience. Anyway yesterday I exchanged the cylinder and as soon as I got home, I started to weld up a header that was missing an O2 sensor bung. No problem. Except there IS a problem. With no other changes, this thing welds like poo. I welded the other side the night before (V8 headers with O2 sensor bungs) but with the new cylinder, it's back to as if I was a beginner again. I am getting some spatter as I'm welding, also some brownish/orangish "film" near the puddle/weld, a lot of porosity, the tungsten gets contaminated nearly immediately and that in itself causes welding and arc issues...the arc is hard to start occasionally, etc. Yes it's a 330 cu-ft cylinder labeled "Argon" that came from TSC (#6 size). It is almost as if I was not getting any gas coverage, but I know I am hearing gas come out of the cup "normally"-though I don't have a torch flowmeter. My flowmeter will condensate externally after even a 1 minute bead at 15 CFH. Also tried down to around 10 CFH and all the way up to 40 CFH and there were no changes in the quality. All welding that I was attempting was under 100A, 2% Lanthanated 3/32 using both ER70S-2 and ER70S-6 filler. I even tried a scrap piece of material with no filler, and there was NO change. What is weird is that the puddle, as soon as I develop a puddle, it has an odd bright orange spot on the top of it kinda like Aluminum that is dirty, almost like oxidation. I attached a pic of the scrap that I was puddling on to give you an idea. Wish I could do a quick video but I don't have a way to do it. I also tried different arc lengths and obviously the further I get, the worse it gets. But I'm dipping the puddle to get the arc to even halfway focus.

Bad Argon? Or am I missing some setting?

Comment

I found the problem. And it's obvious. I'm an idiot for not checking when I got the bottle...now it's another 45 min drive there and 45 back....Lord give me patience with those people.

Comment

Glad you found it. I was wondering...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by junkyardwarrior View Post
            I found the problem. And it's obvious. I'm an idiot for not checking when I got the bottle...now it's another 45 min drive there and 45 back....Lord give me patience with those people.
            You're not the first, always good to double check
            Richard
            West coast of Florida

Comment

It's likely a minimum wage 17 year old loading dock worker, so you can't expect much since they don't get paid much because they're not worth much.

Comment

Some years ago I went to tsc to change out a bottle, it was on a weekend and of course airgas was closed. They wanted nothing to do with it because the bottle said airgas, obviously he wanted to sell me a new one for $300+. I caught wind of this little mom and pop weld supply up the street, and needless to say my days at airgas were over. Best price on any gas in town, open on Saturday, if you spend over $50 and pay cash they cut you a deal. They even changed out an old acetylene tank with a linde valve on it at no extra charge.
                Shopmaster 300
                Hf 251 PC300 Wp-17 torch
                S22p
                Airco wasp IIIe
                Aead 200le blue charge
                Spectrum 3080 50 foot torch

Comment

Working...
                X