Syncrowave 250 AC Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 250 AC Issues

First issue with newly acquired Syncrowave 250.
    Serial No. KK066537

Intermittent "fluttering'' inside the machine under load while welding aluminum. Just hooked it up and haven't welded more than 3 minutes.
    Arc is properly established, parts up to temperature, running smooth then it "flutters" sounds like it could be "shorting out" inside the machine.
    (Anyone have an outlet over the work bench that fills up with grinding grit and "shorts out"? Kinda sounds like that)

I removed side covers and blew it out. I noticed the Polarity Switch contacts were heavily coated with dust and a dark oily residue.
    After wiping clean I inspected and checked all other connections and fasteners inside. The machine is in really good shape for its age. No visible damage or signs of any repairs. I fired it back up and the issue seems to have lessened but not fixed. Shut it down and came here.

What I know:
    Wired with 6gu wire into 60amp breaker
    All external connections are correct

Anybody experience something similar? Suggestions and/or information is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Originally posted by Electric4Life View Post
    First issue with newly acquired Syncrowave 250.
    Serial No. KK066537

Intermittent "fluttering'' inside the machine under load while welding aluminum. Just hooked it up and haven't welded more than 3 minutes.
    Arc is properly established, parts up to temperature, running smooth then it "flutters" sounds like it could be "shorting out" inside the machine.
    (Anyone have an outlet over the work bench that fills up with grinding grit and "shorts out"? Kinda sounds like that)

I removed side covers and blew it out. I noticed the Polarity Switch contacts were heavily coated with dust and a dark oily residue.
    After wiping clean I inspected and checked all other connections and fasteners inside. The machine is in really good shape for its age. No visible damage or signs of any repairs. I fired it back up and the issue seems to have lessened but not fixed. Shut it down and came here.

What I know:
    Wired with 6gu wire into 60amp breaker
    All external connections are correct

Anybody experience something similar? Suggestions and/or information is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
    Sounds like the "high frequency points.' They may need to be adjusted.

HTH
    Griff

PS
    The "book" says to gap the points at .008". If I remember correctly, CRUIZER said to set them at .010"
    HTH
    Last edited by griff01; 04-27-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I agree with Griff. Clean the HF points and see how she chooches.

Comment

I was going to ask how it did when welding in other polarities and processes to help confirm it was something like that.

Comment

Thanks for the reference and help Griff, Ryan and MAC.
          I'll check what they are at prior to removal cleaning and re-gapping at .010"

Comment

Working...
          X