Trouble welding alu 3/16 fillet with Diversion 165

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble welding alu 3/16 fillet with Diversion 165

I’ve had a Miller Diversion 165 for quite a few years and it’s been a fantastic welder. I can’t believe it still works after all the use I’ve put it through.

Im trying to fillet weld 3/16 aluminum and I’m wondering if 165 amps is just not enough. I’ve had decent results doing butt welds or outside corners if I bevel the joint with a carbide bit in the die grinder, but it definitely struggles. I’m trying to do fillet welds (both pieces are 3/16 and I cannot get a puddle started. I’m wondering if I’’ve finally just reached the capacity of my welder.

How many amps should an aluminum 3/16 fillet weld require? My gut is telling me somewhere around 200.

- Im using a gas lens with straight argon and flowguage set at 15 CFH. I’ve read that using a regular ceramic cup setup can help with aluminum but I tried it and I feel the gas lens works better.
    - 2% Lanthinated Tungsten (I’ve tried 3/32 & 1/8, arc stability seems equal with both). I’ve also tried Ceriated and the Lanthinated seems to work better.
    - I disconnected my foot pedal and tried the torch just in case the foot pedal was somehow limiting amperage.
    - This is new aluminum, cleaned with a SS brush and wiped with acetone(filler rod as well)
    - 3/32 4043 filler rod.
    - Unit heater is turned off, no breezes in the shop.
    - Tried preheating with my acetylene plumbing torch and it didn’t seem to make a difference.

Have I just reached the limit of my Diversion? Is there a trick I’m missing?

thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Nikolai; 04-01-2018, 05:13 PM.

This is the outside corner I did which I beveled beforehand.

Im trying to weld approx 2 in x 6 in tabs to the top front edge(lightbar tabs) of that sheet wich is about 4 ft x 6 ft so it’s a giant heat sink.

Comment

Can't see much in the picture, it's just too small.

Your machine just isn't skookum enough. A 1/8" tungsten will be more stable. A plumber's torch probably isn't going to cut it for preheat. You could mix in some helium, that'll help.

Comment

Perhaps the new aluminum is anodized? Check continuity with an ohmmeter by lightly touching the surface with the probes... if, no continuity, it's anodized. Or, just grind/sand the surface a bit, and try, again.

Comment

3/16 aluminum is above the output capacity that the 165 diversion is rated for. The divers in 180 is rated for 3/16 max aluminum. Keep in mind, when you max these diversions out, the duty cycle is a mere 10%.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Miller Bobcat 250
          Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
          Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Working...
          X