MSRP of Transformer Model Thunderbolt XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSRP of Transformer Model Thunderbolt XL

Does anyone know the MSRP of the Transformer Model Thunderbolt XL? I have the opportunity to buy one, and I want to know if this is a good price.

I don't need to find myself. I'm always at my lathe.

https://www.bakersgas.com/MIL903642.html

MSRP is usually higher than the actual selling price, and before they were discontinued, it was $830 at that store. Even that's higher than I expected, but I never looked them up before.

Comment

Thank you. So, $550 for used is not bad?

Comment

Originally posted by buffumjr View Post
        Thank you. So, $550 for used is not bad?
        "Used" is too variable a term.

Comment

Sounds high unless it is AC/DC and not AC only.
          If it's AC only .....keep looking.
          If it's AC/DC and it's pristine it's still on the high end IMO

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
            Sounds high unless it is AC/DC and not AC only.
            If it's AC only .....keep looking.
            If it's AC/DC and it's pristine it's still on the high end IMO
            Isn't the XL model the AC/DC version?

Comment

That's double of what you can find used models for. Gently used or not, there ain't much that can break in those things. I wouldn't even consider anything over $250 and that would have to include the leads. Now if the one you're looking at comes with a mile of leads and a mountain of rod, then it might be worth that much.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                That's double of what you can find used models for. Gently used or not, there ain't much that can break in those things. I wouldn't even consider anything over $250 and that would have to include the leads. Now if the one you're looking at comes with a mile of leads and a mountain of rod, then it might be worth that much.
                Aha. I doubt he'll go for $250. I'll offer $300, and see. I'll not drive down there unless he says yes.

Yes, the XL is the AC/DC model, and, it's about 60 miles away, through Orlando traffic.

Comment

I asked about offering $300. He said the machine has been used all of five times. He's holding firm on his price. Can't blame him, really, but I don't like his chances.

Comment

Do you have the power to run a Dialarc or Idealarc welder? They are quite a bit heavier and are very much industrial tough welders. In my neck of the woods, they occasionally come up for around five hundred.

For occasional use, I understand why the Thunderbolt is appealing as its much smaller and easier to push around.
                    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

I agree, a dialarc class machine for $500 is fairly common. I wouldn't even pay $251 for a thunderbolt, whether it was used 5 times or 500,000 times. Be patient and your deal will come.

Comment

What's your opinion of the Thunderbolt 225 AC welder?

I have a 220V 50A outlet in my shop.

Comment

One of my first machines was an AC only Thunderbolt. Used it to build a couple trailers and other projects around the shop with 6013. Gave it to a friend after I got my MIG. I wish I still had it now. If I got another one, it would be the AC/DC model. I love 7018 rod. I would ask, what are your main uses for the machine?

Comment

My thunderbolt was my first machine. Not the first machine I ever used, we had this old as dirt marathon machine back on the farm. My TB is also AC only, but I have the DC converter plugged into it. When that rectifiers says 150amp max, it ain't joking. Replacing the fusible link inside isn't hard, just a pain in the rear. I think even the newer TBs are 200 something amp output on AC and only 150 on DC. I think.

Comment

Does the unit have the crank on the top or the front? Crank on the top in the older model. if the brass lead screw is not stripped
                              probably a better unit than the new one with crank on front and plastic screw. The XL should have plastic screw and a polarity switch.
                              The older ones had 5 jacks.or 3 jacks depending on if they were ac or ac/dc.
                              Glenn 300 amp stick
                              Millermatic 35
                              L-tec plasma

Comment

Working...
                              X