Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a MIG machine for alu have DC/AC switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also the polarity - if your machine's set up for DCEP and you have your DC ground clamp set for DCEN, it won't work..Steve

Comment

Did not know much about 'AC & DC ground clamps'. Wonder if this means the same as this ad tells below, it seems there are some more complicated AC/DC MIG machines like 'YD-350AZ4'; https://industrial.panasonic.com/cdb...AAB3000CJ8.pdf
      This ad paper above says it provides alu welding of TIG-grade with this MIG machine, and its price is way high though.
      A short review here too;
      " Figure 1 shows two such welding current and welding voltage control devices, (a) a remote control for an analogue welding machine and (b) a digital controller (the YD-350AZ4, the most recent digital/DC- pulsed MIG welding machine produced by this company)."

Found a sample here on a local auction site here; Panasonic YD-350AZ4

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v534141684
      Last edited by chy_farm; 01-20-2018, 05:28 PM.
      Oxy-A (Koike, Sakaguchi)
      HITACHI Inverter Pair 300GP(AC/DC TIG)

Comment

Don't forget to check the blinker fluid in your car.

Comment

But seriously...AC ground clamps are solid copper and DC grounds clamps are bronze. It's all about the electroflatulence of the specific wave form, dependent of course on the presence of iocane powder contaminants, which are always a concern.

Comment

Holy **** I'm laughing my *** of with this thread!! Love it guys. Thanks for the entertainment.

MillerMatic 251
            Maxstar 150 STH
            Cutmaster 42
            Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Did not know some guys here has minor troubles in Brodmann area 45, perhaps they have issues in Broca's area...
              Oxy-A (Koike, Sakaguchi)

Comment

I guess I’ll soon have to change the air in my truck tires to summer air. LOL

Comment

Well I ain't no English professor nor one of them brain surgeons.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    ...dependent of course on the presence of iocane powder contaminants, which are always a concern.
                    Good thing I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Comment

Originally posted by chy_farm View Post
                      I have a good pro grade TIG welder but it does not allow me to use one of my hands, lol, so beginning to think of buying a MIG machine for aluminum.
                      So, I'm befuddled... how does your TIG machine prevent you from using one of your hands? Is it really the fault of the machine, or is there some reason that one of your hands is unable to manipulate the torch or filler rod?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
                        -----how does your TIG machine prevent you from using one of your hands?-----------
                        No it's not any kind of fault on TIG but I just want to hold a bottle of coke while welding, lol.
                        Oxy-A (Koike, Sakaguchi)

Comment

Well, one for manipulate the torch, and one for filler, so can not hold the other end of the parent material with hand while trying tack welding.
                          Oxy-A (Koike, Sakaguchi)

Comment

You guys are ****S! LOL

So...as a rule, tig and stick machines are constant current. Current=amps. So you set the amperage and go. Any stick machine you can at least DC Tig off of. You do need A/C current for Aluminum. AC current alternates between DC +/- . You need the + to rip off the oxide layer that has a 5000 degree melting point to get to the aluminum with a 1500degree melting point. But need the - side of things for penetration. On super thick blocks of aluminum, you can use DCEN on aluminum when tig welding. Going to be smokey as he'll, but it can be done.

Wire feed machines are CV. Or constant voltage. Set the voltage, as opposed to CC machines where voltage is controlled by arc length. You can mig aluminum from any CV machine. Positive polarity DCEP, meaning what is in your hand is hooked to the positive side, for any solid wire...aluminum,steel,stainless,etc. The ground clamp is negative...and no, there is no ac/dc ground clamp. Self shielded flux core wire needs dcen. Gas shielded flux core wants dcep. Gas wire welding you want +.

No such thing as an AC mig or flux core...unless we're talking input power. So there's no such thing as an ac/dc switch for an aluminum mig as all mig machines can weld aluminum

Comment

Nice breakdown esracerx46
                              Richard
                              West coast of Florida

Comment

Dang it, ruined my super secret evil plan of introducing AC and DC only grounds clamps to the mass market. Thanks a lot esracerx46. Party pooper.

Comment

Working...
                                X