Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 250 no output - need higher res schematic

Hello everyone,

I'm troubleshooting a Syncrowave 250 Serial# KA814606 with no output (including HF).

Input jumpers set for 230v. (My shop current is 246v)
    Relay CR1 activates upon main power on
    Relay CR2 & gas only activates ONLY via slide remote on TIG torch while in remote mode (I don't have a foot pedal). Panel mode does not activate CR2 or gas.
    Relay CR5 won't activate at all. (Receiving -24vdc but circuit left open by board. But relay works if I ground the circuit))

Toggle switches test out good.
    No pre flow or spot options.

PC1 (board) input voltages are correct but not output so I suspect the board is faulty and would like to fix it myself but need a higher resolution circuit diagram from the Owner's manual than what Miller offers on their site. (OM-353C pgs. 26-27)

PC1 pinout voltages that differ drastically from the tech manual specs are:

RC55 Pin 3: -.12vdcd (should be -15vdc)
    Pin 6: 14.98vdc (should be 5.8vdc)
    Pin 7: -.11vdc to 14.95vdc (should be -15vdc to 5.8vdc)
    Pin 10: 6.68vdc to .01vdc (should be 0vdc to 4vdc)

RC54 Pin 12: 1.5vdc (should be 24vdc)

I notice on the board voltage regulator VR1and associated cap C3 are very warm when power is on. Legs of VR1 looked a bit corroded.

I'm not an expert at electronics but have fixed a few boards in the past. This board seems basic enough that with a little diagnostic guidance or at least a better scan of the schematic, I'm perfectly capable of swapping out suspect components. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Cheers!
    Last edited by MtnMann; 01-08-2018, 07:02 PM.

Interesting... Just got off the phone with Miller TIG department and they said they cannot (or won't) supply me with a readable version of the schematic that is published in the Owner's Manual. I asked if I could buy a hard copy of the owner's manual and they said they would have to check and get back to me. Very frustrating.

Does anyone have an actual Owner's Manual OM-353C?

Comment

Received some help via PM... Thank you!!

Comment

Let me know what you find out. I also have an older 250 with no output. Had the pc1 board rebuilt and still nothing.

Comment

Do your relays (CR1, CR2, CR5) all work when they are supposed to? Have you checked your PC1 pinouts?

I just found a cooked capacitor C35 on my board. It's so small I didn't notice that it was cooked until just now.

Comment

Still looking for a readable copy of Circuit Diagram D-135 253 out of Owner's Manual OM353C if anyone can help.

Miller did get back to me and said I could buy a hard copy. I find it very frustrating that they post an unreadable copy on the website but won't supply a readable version.

Comment

You can get OM-353 here:

http://manuals.chudov.com/Miller/Mil...250-Manual.pdf

Not sure if that gets you any closer...see page 29

Comment

Well that is a better version of the general circuit diagram so that is easier to read than the one on Miller’'s site – so thanks. But it’’'s not the PC1 schematic which is the one I am looking for (from OM-353C). I was, however, able to use the one from the 2000 manual and manually edit it by comparing it to my PC1. They only changed a few things on the board so I think I have enough now to trace the faulty circuits and replace components. We’'’ll see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!
                Last edited by MtnMann; 01-10-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I was able to compose a schematic combining a good version of a later one with the unreadable one off Miller's site that's in the owner's manual for this machine (later ones are only found in the Tech Manuals). I circled and crossed out components not found on my board and drew in ones that are not on the later schematic. I'm not the most proficient at electronics so I could use a little help from anyone willing to look over the schematic and advise me on what I should be replacing. C35 is obviously cooked (lower center of board to the right of IC). I ordered a bunch of components that I see being related to that capacitor as well as the -15vdc power that seems to be having an issue due to several bad pinout readings:

RC55 Pin 3: -.12vdcd (should be -15vdc)
                  Pin 6: 14.98vdc (should be 5.8vdc)
                  Pin 7: -.11vdc to 14.95vdc (should be -15vdc to 5.8vdc)
                  Pin 10: 6.68vdc to .01vdc (should be 0vdc to 4vdc)

RC54 Pin 12: 1.5vdc (should be 24vdc)

VR1 legs look like they've gotten hot and it runs very warm along with C3 (big black cap by VR1 at left upper edge of board)

I ordered new VR1 (and VR2 just in case), SR1, A1-4, U1, U2, pretty much all capacitors, a bunch of diodes, resistors, and transistors that I see along related circuit paths.

I had trouble identifying the two mosfets (Q1,8) that are called out as N-channel 9A 50V. Markings are:

I(followed by a diode symbol)R9006
                  90 1Q

The closest I found was an N 15A 50V. Not even sure I need to replace one or both of those but I ordered some.

Any guidance would be much appreciated as far as a list of most likely components to swap out...

Thanks.

Comment

I have a sync wave 250 an older one it quit once I found some bolts on the wireing came loose the second time it quit it was the remote contactor test the machine using a stick weld with switch on the panel if all works then trouble shoot the output contactor I had my machine since 1989 purchased new I been an electronic tech for 30 years most of the older stuff is easy to fix don't sweet the voltages some are pot setting related

Comment

Fixed.

I replaced a few components on the board and she's working fine now... Cost about $5 in parts.
                      These older boards are really quite simple and components re cheap!

Comment

Working...
                      X