Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What weld process would you use to weld control arm brackets to an axle tube?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What weld process would you use to weld control arm brackets to an axle tube?

I have an XMT 350 and I am trying to decide if I should stick or mig some control arm brackets to an axle tube. Brackets are 1/4" thick and the axle tube is 1/2". I was thinking some 1/8" 6010 but wanted to here what you guys think about it.
    Last edited by broke33; 12-17-2017, 05:15 AM.

I vote mig spray .045 ER70-S6 with 90-10 mix

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

.045 dual shield if you have it.

What FK said will be good.

If all you have is .035 solid, I have spray arced similar components with that. I have also ran a tig root and capped with short circuit mig .035 because the wire feed welder in that shop was not capable of spray arc.

Can't speak for 6010 in that application, never done it like that.

Comment

1/8 7018 cheap and easy...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Which machine is closer and already set-up with something?

You get the point.

Actually, the condition of the material would tell me more about which process I would use if it was easy enough to set up a machine specifically for this one job. If coated or dirty, a flux-bearing process is the way to go, unless you can get it REALLY clean.

Comment

The main concerns on this is #1 not breaking and #2 looking good.
            You didn't say what this machine/vehicle is so I'm guessing it isn't a show car.
            If it is then MYSELF, I, would tig it. Otherwise I love pulse/spray on steel
            I'm assuming you can do that with your welding machine.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

How's your skill level with stick and wire?
              I'd already have it done with 3/32 or 1/8" 7018, done long before your still deciding or debating which process to use for the job.
              The reality is, any process your machine is capable of will work for the job. You need to make this decision yourself and not rely on someone else to make it for you.
              Lincoln Idealarc 250
              Miller Bobcat 250
              Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
              Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Unless all you have is a little 115v mig, then maybe a little extra prep work is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
                  I'd already have it done with 3/32 or 1/8" 7018, done long before your still deciding or debating which process to use for the job.
                  While that may be true, perhaps this is not an in-and-out shop job and he has more time due to the nature of the job/project(?). I don't think he is a hobbyist with an XMT305 (or maybe he is), but perhaps they are building up a long-winded project vehicle where they can look at certain things while parts/materials arrive. Just a thought.
                  HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                  Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
                  Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    Unless all you have is a little 115v mig, then maybe a little extra prep work is in order.
                    He said he already has an XMT350.....that trumps most everything out there. It's like 400 amps That machine will mig like tig and make it stick!!

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Ya, I missed that part. Taking into consideration the junk of my own that I work on, the last time I did some work like he's talking about was the ranchero we made into a drag car. When I was welding the suspension brackets to the axle housing, no matter how much I cleaned that old junk, I kept getting such horrible porosity with mig. I ended up tigging it in there with a bit of 309 filler metal. Once I got the first pass in, I could come back across it with the wire feed. Talk about frustrating....but that's what you have to put up with when you're scrapping' for parts and metal.

Comment

I would use 7018 only if I cannot get a good clean weld area. If it’s really dirty it has all kinds of gunk I would consider 6010. If the weld area is mostly clean I would use MiG then. Good luck

Comment

Sorry been out of town. This is going into a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Axles are Dan 60's front and rear and the this will be a mud racer with some highway and trails. It is my own project that I work on in my spare time.so time is not an issue here. Axles are sand blasted but I am sure there is some oil in the pores as these axles are from 1979 and have high mileage under a plow truck.

Thanks for the feedback but it looks like the stick would be the best choice due to the potential for dirty metal. I hadn't thought about that before so this post helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
                            How's your skill level with stick and wire?
                            The reality is, any process your machine is capable of will work for the job. You need to make this decision yourself and not rely on someone else to make it for you.
                            I don't weld for a living and haven't welded consistently for 15 years. Therefore I would like to ask the advice of the experienced welders who are welding regularly to see if there are any new information that might make this decision easier. Time isn't an issue as I am not making money on this, I am spending it .

Comment

Old nasty junk is my specialty. Get in there and weld that sap sucker up. If you end up with porosity, grind it out and weld it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X