93 thunderbolt lead terminal hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    ...The chics are totally gonna dig it....but they ain't gonna be the hot ones....
    Depends on which bits are touching which bits.

Comment

That is a fair point.

Comment

The chics are totally gonna dig it....but they ain't gonna be the hot ones....
        Depends where the sparks go
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Almond ,your machine go for it any pics if your handy work ?
          Id still rather have a thunderbolt then a chinese machine also he's saving it from the shredder too!
          I have been on a roll latety fixing up
          old engine drives and find it pretty neat how they build them how they changed year to year model to model,but that's me I guess everybody has there hobbies.
          Then again I like anything that's metal has a motor or glues metal together D

Comment

When bought this 93 thunder bolt checked the output pressure ( voltage) with a reliable VOM.

Both output AC and DC voltage was lower than spec. due to environmental corrosion and galvanic corrosion.

corrosion depends a bunch on location: beach with salt laden air, high rain fall region, high humidity region, dry climate region, desert region, etc.
            ​​​​​​
            furthermore, looking the inlet power cord, it's a 12/3 yes a 12/3.
            according to NEC article 400, 12/3 power cord is rated at 18 amps.
            spec on the Thunderbolt is 47.5 Mad amps at 230 VAC input.
            10/3 is rated at 30 amps
            8/3 is rated at 40 amps
            6/3 is rated at 55 amps
            These ratings are for continuous use at 86F

replacing inlet flat power cord with SOOW , 8/3 , .85" diameter rubber covered

Maybe duty cycle has something to do with it?
            Last edited by Almond farmer; 01-01-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almond farmer View Post
              corrosion depends a bunch on location
              Not if there's no electrolyte between the dissimilar metals. Then, there's NO corrosion. Would it help to write it on the blackboard 10,000 times? In the absence of an electrolyte (LIQUID), there can be no galvanic corrosion.
              And grease keeps air/dew/electrolyte out of the equation. In other words, grease = no galvanic corrosion.

http://www.codebookcity.com/codearti...article630.htm

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f5/we...circuit-16688/

Not sure what AWG you need, but look at article 630.11a Welders are not continuous duty, so wire size for welders is derated.

Just out of curiosity, how many months or years are you projecting it'll take to get this Thunderbolt into service?
              Last edited by Helios; 01-02-2018, 04:32 AM.

Comment

When bought this 93 thunder bolt checked the output pressure ( voltage) with a reliable VOM.

Both output AC and DC voltage was lower than spec. due to environmental corrosion and galvanic corrosion.

according to NEC article 400, 12/3 power cord is rated at 18 amps.
                spec on the Thunderbolt is 47.5 Mad amps at 230 VAC input.
                10/3 is rated at 30 amps
                8/3 is rated at 40 amps
                6/3 is rated at 55 amps
                These ratings are for continuous use at 86F

replacing inlet flat power cord with SOOW , 8/3 , .85" diameter rubber covered

Maybe duty cycle has something to do with it?
                MAYBE duty cycle has something to do with it? MAYBE? WTF do they teach you at Berkeley?

You know enough to cite the NEC, but just enough to get it all wrong. First, the NEC does not apply! It's not for manufacturers of listed equipment. Had you replaced the power cord on a new machine (because you are so much smarter than the real engineers that designed it) you would have rightly voided the warranty because you are more likely to create a bad connection than actually give it a better cord.

Second, the NEC absolutely recognizes the concept of duty cycle. Welding machine circuits are sized per Article 630, allowing the full 50A ampacity of #12 copper wire. Please stop all attempts at using the National Electrical Code. I take that back. Start reading the NEC on the first page at Article 90.1 and stop at 90.1 (C) which says: "Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons."

Next, surely you must realize that telling us something is "lower than spec," is not very useful when you don't tell us the actual measurements. Did it actually have trouble welding? Or did you "fix" it before you actually tried it? Did you measure one that was factory fresh before giving us your hypothesis as if it were a proven fact?
                Last edited by MAC702; 01-02-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

got a four year degree BSEE from UC Berkley in 1970
                  Well, I guess you're a walking, talking, live advertisement for Berkeley's renowned engineering school!
                  Last edited by Helios; 01-02-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I tow my truck around town to save on fuel.
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Holy smokes! Does this mean that if I change all my thunderbolt's guts from doodads to doofloppies it'll be more than a farmer's machine?

Comment

Kinda doubt that; besides, I wuz always taught that there are certain things boys sometimes play with that should NOT be discussed out loud - maybe this is ONE of 'em. ...Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post
                          ...Berkeley's renowned engineering school!...
                          Do you suppose they teach how to spell Berkeley in the fine arts department?

Comment

You're not allowed to talk about that. Trigger words!!

Comment

Holy smokes! Does this mean that if I change all my thunderbolt's guts from doodads to doofloppies it'll be more than a farmer's machine?
                              Does that mean I can run 1/4" 7018 in my T Bolt
                              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

He ain't hurting anyone here.

Comment

Working...
                                X