Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diversion 180-is it a good TIG welding machine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversion 180-is it a good TIG welding machine?

I am ready to embark on TIG welding. Having mastered stick and MIG, I figured I could weld thin body panels with a TIG machine. Overall I want to weld up to 1/8 inch thick aluminum and mild steel.

A rebate for Diversion 180 has caught my attention. I have been researching TIG welder in lower/mid range for a past month. All my welding lab is blue.

What really bothers me about Diversion 180 is the issue with IGBT drivers burning.

Can people elaborate under what conditions Diversion 180 fails? What's the root cause of the drivers or transistors failing? Is it because users stretch the specs and try to exceed the specified duty cycle? Or because there is a design or manufacturing problem

I think it is a very limited machine that you'll most likely outgrow quickly, being a master mig and stick weldor and all.

I'm no E-lectronico expert, but it would seem that any machine could fail at any time and caused by any number of reasons stemming from design, manufacturing or user induced deficiency.

So, to address your specific question of under what conditions will the diversion 180 fail....the answer is.....

Yes.

Comment

I have to say that from all I've read about the Diversion I probably would not buy one. Could be just a bad perception on my part but it doesnt sem to have a reputation for robustness, and has an awfully limited duty cycle. I was tempted to buy one, but waited and saved for a dynasty 200 which I am very happy with- but it sure was a lot of money to save up.

Just don't fall into the cheap Chinese trap either. Look at the syncrowave 210 perhaps, And help pay for it by selling your MIG. Or HTP.

Comment

HTP is a good machine, seems there're out of stock until mid January though
        Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
          I have to say that from all I've read about the Diversion I probably would not buy one. Could be just a bad perception on my part but it doesnt sem to have a reputation for robustness, and has an awfully limited duty cycle. I was tempted to buy one, but waited and saved for a dynasty 200 which I am very happy with- but it sure was a lot of money to save up.

Just don't fall into the cheap Chinese trap either. Look at the syncrowave 210 perhaps, And help pay for it by selling your MIG. Or HTP.
          Or save up for a Dynasty 210.

Comment

Or find something on the used market.

Comment

Don't know that much about the diversion. Heard a lot of good things about the HTP products and the Syncrowave 210 being solid products. I still own a Everlast 250EX that I have had for 5 years with very little in the way of problems with it. All the accessories that came with it are pure crap. Bought a quality SSC pedal along with CK water cooled torches and some other stuff to make things right. The power unit is fantastic and I would recommend it. The customer support at Everlast is the best of any overseas import that I have seen anywhere. They work really hard at it. This has been my experience and the experience of others.

This isn't a shameless plug for Everlast, it's the truth. To me customer support is most important which why I chose Miller for both my Mig and Tig welding needs. If I had to make sparks for a living, I would want to get back to making sparks ASAP if my machine were to fail me. Along with the machine no matter what color or make it may be, customer support to me is most important,

For the kind of work I am currently doing, Miller products are slicker that bat guano!
              Last edited by Grizzly1944; 12-10-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Looks like Synchrowave has same issues as Diversion. I think i will save up for Dynasty 210DX.

Comment

Working...
                X