No announcement yet.

cleaning up my Millermatic 211 and drive motor assembly question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have not called Miller headquarters. I only took it to a certified Miller service center 2hrs away in San Antonio.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

• Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
      To be fair to Miller, has this actually been brought to their attention? I haven't perused this in a while, but I was thinking that we've been talking about it, but that he hasn't actually officially complained to Miller about it, yet. Did I miss it? They don't follow these threads like they used to.
      It would be nice if they did. it was great when Andy was on here, but that was even before my time, for the most part, He was beginning to move on.
      As long as this thread is, it pretty much shows how little they (Miller staff) are reading the actual material.
      I actually was considering a 211 but after this thread (and a couple of internet videos) ....... there isn't much of a chance.
      There is a certain price range where equipment becomes disposable. Lawn mowers and many other pieces of equipment fall into this category.
      Repair labor and parts cost exceeds the value of the actual machine. I am ready for the MM250P or maybe the MM225P
      Odd times we live in these days IMO

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

• Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

It would be nice if they did. it was great when Andy was on here, but that was even before my time, for the most part, He was beginning to move on.
        As long as this thread is, it pretty much shows how little they (Miller staff) are reading the actual material.
        I actually was considering a 211 but after this thread (and a couple of internet videos) ....... there isn't much of a chance.
        There is a certain price range where equipment becomes disposable. Lawn mowers and many other pieces of equipment fall into this category.
        Repair labor and parts cost exceeds the value of the actual machine. I am ready for the MM250P or maybe the MM225P
        Odd times we live in these days IMO
        I wonder if the Multimatic 215 if fairing well these days. I assume it has the same drive system as the 211, but I'd have to check on online pictures. I do remember email'ing Miller and they got back to me real quick, but I think I accidentally deleted the email. They did suggest the unit go in for service.

Comment

• I would expect that if you were to reassemble the gear box without the wavy washers it will not wobble. I would only do that as a test as they need to be in there to keep the gear in alignment but I think they are the culprit in combination with the sloppy fit on the bearings. The notion of misalignment of the machining from one end of the shaft to the other would cause the wobble is valid but given the state of modern machining tolerances and ability it would surprise me to see that kind of consistently sloppy machining from a company like Miller.
          ---Meltedmetal

Comment

• I had an issue with mine when I first bought it and I kept trying to figure what was wrong until I did find and fix the issue. I wasn't able to take a Saturday 1.5hr, 1 way drive to get it in to service and have to drive it again on another Saturday to pick it up, so I kept after it till I figured it out. I came dam close to kicking it to the curb and getting a Linc.. I am watching this and am starting to think that Miller needs to get off their high horse and start policing their QC better.

It only takes one bad run to destroy a great reputation and once that happens it is very hard to recover if your able to do it at all. A good reputation is easy to maintain but is hard to get and even harder if not impossible to correct when a Co. gets complacent and lazy.

In this thread you can see the issue I had with mine. These units might not be Millers most expensive welders but are still considered "Top Shelf" in their class and are not cheep disposable units for us who saved and bought one so QC needs to be on par with their other more expensive welders.
            A place to talk about how-to, techniques, troubleshooting, welding processes, welders, plasma cutters or other metalworking tools.

Comment

• My 211 runs perfectly.

As for HTP -----I travel to Italy frequently (have many relatives there) and looked into HTP welders sold by USA Weld and made just outside of Venice Italy-- while they get "ok" reviews, they're really cheaper versions of the Italian STEL welding line -- support is questionable, they depreciate in resale value at a rate 2-4x Miller or Lincoln and use cheaper (largely Chinese sourced) components (e.g. digital display touch panels) than those found in the quality STEL line.

ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
              Spectrum 875
              Diversion 180
              Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
              Miller 252
              MM 211
              CST 280
              Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Crepe Myrtle Farmer View Post
                My 211 runs perfectly.

As for HTP -----I travel to Italy frequently (have many relatives there) and looked into HTP welders sold by USA Weld and made just outside of Venice Italy-- while they get "ok" reviews, they're really cheaper versions of the Italian STEL welding line -- support is questionable, they depreciate in resale value at a rate 2-4x Miller or Lincoln and use cheaper (largely Chinese sourced) components (e.g. digital display touch panels) than those found in the quality STEL line.
                I think you're way off base, and not just because I own an HTP tig. How can you say they depreciate with any given certainty when the TIGs themselves hardly ever get re-sold as used? I would bet you can't find even 5 re-selling listings anywhere on the internet for their 221 tig welder, present OR past. Support questionable? How if you've never needed support from them? I have, on occasion, and many times the owner of HTP himself answers the phone and has given top-notch support, not just to me, to countless others. I've looked at the STEL welders. The specs do not indicate in any way, shape of form, that HTP are lesser units. Spec-wise. Virtually identical. I would again bet you money that you would [not] find huge discrepancies between the STEL machine specs and the equivalent units HTP sells, if at all. So like I said, you're wayyyy off base here. I've gone to Italy too. Does it make me an expert in STEL and HTP? Nope, it sure doesn't. Do I own HTP and thus STEL, and have conversed with HTP support? Yep, I have. "Looking into" is not the same as knowing.
                Last edited by OscarJr; 01-05-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• I've never been to Italy either, but I have two htp machines. I won't claim to be an electronics expert either. Only thing I can base my opinion on is their equipment and service. I agree with oscar Jr, their support has been on par, from my experience at least, with that of Miller. I've dealt with both and I can't say a bad thing about either. That said, I've never found a poor review of HTP machines or their service, but I admittedly haven't done an interweb search for that.

As for the invertig 221, it has capabilities and features that are found in the high end Miller machines that set you back an arm and a leg. I generally don't get into all those fancy features because I'm not a fancy guy, but it's impressive they have them.

I cannot speak for how well an HTP machine would hold up in a heavy fabrication environment because I'm a one man, one off, light fabrication shop. I am, however, leery of inverter machines as a whole and prefer the transformer style because I like the old crap tested reliability.

Comment

• The only bad thing I've seen in htp are there tig collets, the negative unproven statement above I call bs, they definitely have the customer service part down, many years ago before I knew what a website was I calling on a weekend to leave a message to order a catalog and within 10 minutes the owner called back to make sure I wasn't having problems with a welder and took my information and sent one out, I would like to compare there 221 next to my dynasty I would imagine not much difference, just wish they had a 275 or 300 amp version

Comment

• Originally posted by pat h View Post
                      The only bad thing I've seen in htp are there tig collets, the negative unproven statement above I call bs, they definitely have the customer service part down, many years ago before I knew what a website was I calling on a weekend to leave a message to order a catalog and within 10 minutes the owner called back to make sure I wasn't having problems with a welder and took my information and sent one out, I would like to compare there 221 next to my dynasty I would imagine not much difference, just wish they had a 275 or 300 amp version
                      I think it's only a matter of time before they adapt one of their more powerful 3-phase tigs for single-phase operation and send it across the pond.

Comment

• I used to call Jeff Nolan on the phone from work and chit chat...Bob
                        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

• Pricing on HTP has enjoyed a strong dollar/ weak euro advantage over the past couple of years. Of recent, the dollar has been sliding and the euro strengthening resulting in HTP pricing becoming less attractive going forward.

As for the quality of HTP's components, I'm a retired Electrical Engineer, looked under the hoods of both STEL and HTP boxes in Italy, speak to users there in their native tongue (I'm 100% Italian, speak the language) and get the real "gouge" --- components are significantly cheaper in the HTP boxes vis a vis STEL, period. Not sure what people (largely HTP "Salesmen") don't get about this simple fact. Besides, the whole country of Italy is built on corruption, paybacks, other cheats --- I hate speaking this way, but again it is the simple truth. 80% of my relatives live there and I don't trust them or their products --- simple reality -- paybacks, brides, product cheating is a way of life over there.

Italy's dirty as sin -- ranked #60 (horrible)

https://www.transparency.org/news/fe...ons_index_2016
                          Last edited by Crepe Myrtle Farmer; 01-07-2018, 09:01 AM.
                          ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
                          Spectrum 875
                          Diversion 180
                          Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
                          Miller 252
                          MM 211
                          CST 280
                          Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

• Another electrical engineer they must give them titles out to every know it all

Comment

• I can appreciate your first hand knowledge of STEL and HTP products--and their electronic components therein--and the corruption in that part of the world. Makes me not want to go to Italy. But I'm still pretty happy with the HTP products and the service from the folks at USAweld.com.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crepe Myrtle Farmer View Post
                                Pricing on HTP has enjoyed a strong dollar/ weak euro advantage over the past couple of years. Of recent, the dollar has been sliding and the euro strengthening resulting in HTP pricing becoming less attractive going forward.

As for the quality of HTP's components, I'm a retired Electrical Engineer, looked under the hoods of both STEL and HTP boxes in Italy, speak to users there in their native tongue (I'm 100% Italian, speak the language) and get the real "gouge" --- components are significantly cheaper in the HTP boxes vis a vis STEL, period. Not sure what people (largely HTP "Salesmen") don't get about this simple fact. Besides, the whole country of Italy is built on corruption, paybacks, other cheats --- I hate speaking this way, but again it is the simple truth. 80% of my relatives live there and I don't trust them or their products --- simple reality -- paybacks, brides, product cheating is a way of life over there.

Italy's dirty as sin -- ranked #60 (horrible)

https://www.transparency.org/news/fe...ons_index_2016
                                Well with all due respect, I do not believe you. I'm glad your 211 is working perfectly. Nothing to do with this thread, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X