Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tarry99
    replied
    The curved surface in .060 thousands stainless is your first problem with using a large hole saw.........as you'll only be cutting the curve first which will increase the chances of the hole saw catching the material as it bores in........Rotor broaches would also be fine if the material was flat..........burning on .060 material may warp it , but I guess if it's going to warp the tig welding well also do the same...........

On .060 I might just take a cobalt drill bit say 1/8" or smaller and make a circle off your pattern.......and then finish the circle with a drum sander or a 1/8" High speed burr...........might be a little slow but at least you have control over the ending results.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Annular bit. That what I meant by ROTO-broach. Like asking for a crescent wrench. Those technical words get me all gillflirted sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Crepe Myrtle Farmer
    replied
    I have a magnetic drill and I swear by them --- used to slug around the Milwaukee with Lenox hole saws and more often than not they'd turn out rougher than planned.

Depending on the stainless, the magnetics may or may not work. There is nothing cleaner than a good magnetic drill with annular bits.

Leave a comment:

• piniongear
    replied
    I have to wonder what the possibility is that you may damage or ruin the tank?
    A 6 inch hole saw mounted in a hand drill is going to be a brutal experience!
    I agree with others that you should just take the tank to a shop with water jet or lazer cutting service and let them do the work..
    pg

Leave a comment:

• piniongear
    replied
    I have to wonder what the possibility is that you may damage or ruin the tank?
    A 6 inch hole saw mounted in a hand drill is going to be a brutal experience!
    I agree with others that you should just take the tank to a shop with water jet or lazer cutting service and let them do the work..
    pg

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    ....having a beer?

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    There's only one way to prevent "wanting a beer" while in the shop....

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I like "butter cut" cutting fluid for big holes. Not really because it's better, just because it smells like hot melting butter when it burns off a hot bit. Makes me want a BLT with extra bacon.

....and a beer.

Leave a comment:

• Oldgrandad
    replied
    Milwaukee Hole Dozer Is my hole saw of choice and I use rapid tap cutting fluid. We do holes in stainless all the time. For doing sanitary, I would scribe the hole first, hole saw it a tad under. Then use a barrel sander to bring the hole to my line. I would use whatever tube or pipe is your welding to the tank as my template for scribing after couping it to match the tank.

Leave a comment:

• Jayare123
    replied
    Water jet is no go. Tank is existing I'm just modifying it. Looking like I'm gonna try and borrow a plasma cutter. The 6" hole is on top of the tank which is mostly flat. The rest of the holes are going through the sides of the tank so on a curved surface.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Another reason to plan on filler is because you'll want a nice bead on both inside and outside for both appearance and cleaning purposes.

And are you cutting on a flat or curved surface?
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-31-2017, 09:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Take your project to a water jet cutter. Generally charge by the inch, but it would clean, perfect and ready to weld.

Leave a comment:

• Ltbadd
    replied
    It's going to take a lot of torque for that 6", you have to have the best available tool which may be a carbide tipped hole saw, an electric drill (not cordless) and a good cutting fluid. Click image for larger version  Name:	snip_20171031193848.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.0 KB ID:	585988

Leave a comment:

• Metjunkie
    replied
    I second the plasma cutter idea. It shouldn't be too difficult to rig something up for cutting the hole. I used a 2hp, 20 gal. Campbell Hausfeld compressor with my plasma for quite awhile until I got my 60 gal. Ingersoll Rand. Worked just fine. You wouldn't be running the compressor continuously, so even a smaller one should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Jayare123
    replied
    I've got filler. I know how to use it. If I have to I will. But it'd all come out nicer if I don't have to. Major issue with plasma cutter is I don't have one. I can borrow one. Idk if my air compressor is up to running it tho

Leave a comment:

Working...
X