Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torch Handle Heating Up

Hey y'all

Need some advice. I've been brazing and light welding with my Smith Toughcut oxy-acetylene setup for the past year and a half or so, and I've noticed something lately.

After working on a piece for a while, (brazing and/or welding), the torch tip and handle get pretty dang hot. I have the pressures up to 10 on both gases (seems high, but those are the instructions for the torch, I verified). Is this likely just residual heat from the work? It is nearing 100° outside too, so that's certainly not helping the torch cool down.

Any sage advice would be helpful! Thanks!

Tony

Not uncommon. I've had torches get too hot to hold without a glove when brazing a long time.

Comment

I used to run my gas setup at 5 psi. worked fine all day long. Things have a tendency to get hot like the torch.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Smith has the mixer in the handle not in the head like most torches...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

aametalmaster:

What affect would this have in terms of torch heat?

Comment

I was taught to run acetylene pressure at 3-5 psi, no more. But I never used my torch set for anything over 1/2". Most of the time, 1/4" and under.

Comment

I was taught 3-5 psi as well, which was why I took a double take at the 10 psi for the smith mw torch tips. A call to Smith customer service confirmed 10 psi is correct for this specific torch. Here's the chart:

http://cyberweld.com/images/mwchart.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X