Just curious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious...

Could someone give me an estimate on how much I could sell a defective diversion 180 for? Mine quit on me a few weeks ago and I found out the main control board needs replaced and I guess that can cost up to $900. I know I won't get much for it but I want to see if I can get rid of it and put that money towards a better machine. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dang man, that sucks.

To me, your broken machine has zero value above its weight in scrap. Maybe to someone that can fix the machine it would be worth more.

How old is the machine?

Comment

You are in a just terrible situation there. Unfortunately, I'm with Ryan on your dilemma -- it would be virtually without value to me. Never looked inside one, but I can't imagine there would be much value in any parts outside the board. Perhaps if you could find someone who has dinged up their case or front panel, or needs several other parts due to dropping it off a bench or cart, they might see more value. Sad to say, if it were mine, I'd put it on eBay for 150 or 200 bucks with a clear statement it's for parts only, and clearly state the board is bad. See if anyone bids. My guess would be no one would, but you never know. If it doesn't sell, repost at a lower price.

or, you might try parting it out after looking up the Miller part numbers for the various pieces. If you have the time to spend on that, you might come out ahead.

Comment

900 for a 30$ board? No wonder china is taking over

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          Dang man, that sucks.

To me, your broken machine has zero value above its weight in scrap. Maybe to someone that can fix the machine it would be worth more.

How old is the machine?
          I bought it in September of 2014. I tried to get it repaired under warranty but I found out it left the factory in November of 2011. Miller won't cover it since I bought it from eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by shootist2 View Post
            900 for a 30$ board? No wonder china is taking over
            Maybe the board price should reflect the price of the machine more.
            A $900 board isn't as bad on a $5000 machine, but when it costs as much as a machine is practically worth.....that just plain sucks IMO
            Bring back knobs and switches

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

YES!!!! I am in for that!!

And no more dadgum facepage and twerper and instaflitter and whatever else people do to avoid human contact like the plague we are....

Comment

You had a functioning welder before your mods, but after the mods the controller board failed? That seems unlikely to me. Was your repairman an official bona fide Miller service tech? Also, 900 bucks seems rather steep. Did you get that price directly from Miller?

I just think you should do more investigating. I believe your mod overlooked something. I think it unlikely that the controller board would fail because you installed an RJ45 to 14 pin adapter.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by oconn85 View Post
                  I found out the main control board needs replaced and I guess that can cost up to $900.
                  Who diagnosed it?

Also, please put the actual subject in the subject line.

Comment

I took it to RDS Welder Repair in Edinboro PA. He's listed on Miller's website as a certified service technician. I don't believe he got the price from Miller but he told me he replaced the same part on another customers machine and it was around $900 for parts and labor. My modifications were basically all plug and play with the exception of a little work with a hole saw and die grinder. The only thing I can think of that may have caused any problems was blowing out the metal shavings after I was done, or vibrations from removing the cover with my 1/4 impact driver. Of course the unit was unplugged when I blew it out and it's not like I was running the impact like it was on a seized bolt. All screws came right out and went back in just as easy.

I'm over it at this point, it was just a starter machine to begin with so I guess it's time for an upgrade. I have it listed on eBay right now and it's already gonna sell for more than I was expecting so I'm happy about that.

Comment

Saw your ad on ebay. Glad you are finding bidders. So far, more $ than I expected. Fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                      X