transmission gear repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission gear repair

I am trying to repair a damage transmission gear tooth. I assume it is mild steel. I like to build up the damaged area with a tig or mig welder then file it down to the shape I want. It is for a mower so it does not need to be very precise. My question is that will the welded metal be hard enough? What can I do to increase the surface hardness after the weld? What filler rod would you recommend? Thank you.

Might be a sintered steel gear. Have any pictures?

There are hardfacing alloys made for this purpose or for similar applications, but the price tag might discourage you.

Have you tried ereplacementparts.com for a new one? Or partstree.com? Those are two sources I use for stuff like that. You can even call them up and talk to a human being.

Comment

Sintered or MIM parts don't weld at all. Just went thru this with a JD tractor...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by bcjm View Post
        I am trying to repair a damage transmission gear tooth. I assume it is mild steel. I like to build up the damaged area with a tig or mig welder then file it down to the shape I want. It is for a mower so it does not need to be very precise. My question is that will the welded metal be hard enough? What can I do to increase the surface hardness after the weld? What filler rod would you recommend? Thank you.
        I have done several "brush hog" gears with 7018. They are all still running after 20+ years. A couple of them sounded bad at first but wore in and sounded ok after that.

Griff

Comment

Try it
          Its already junk

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
          X