Diversion 180 help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversion 180 help...

New to the forum and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I've had a Diversion 180 for a few years now and it's been a good machine. Recently I decided to do a couple upgrades and added the Arc-Zone air/water cooled torch upgrade kit and the RJ45 to 14 pin adapter so I can run the same finger control and torch setup in both of my machines ( I also have an XMT 304). Well I got the torch kit installed and set the adapter up so the 14 pin plug is mounted directly into the front panel of the machine and now I don't have any amperage control. I can start the arc but when I try to increase the heat it won't go over 10 amps. I thought it was my finger control since I purchased a generic one but it works on my XMT. I switched over to the foot pedal and it still has the same problem. The only thing I really did was make a couple holes bigger and die grind the opening for the remote connector so the 14 pin plug would fit. I had to blow out some metal shavings before I put it back together but I don't think I hurt anything on the inside. I'm just trying to save some money and avoid a trip to the repair shop and fix it myself. Im not sure if the modifications I made will affect the warranty and to be honest I can't remember if I even sent the registration card in when I bought it. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here are a couple pics showing what I changed on the machine

Comment

Nice work on the modification!

I have a TA-186 and recently spent some time messing around with the pedal from which I got a knowledge of how the thing works.

I just looked at the schematic for the Div 180. It appears to me that it may work in a similar manner as my TA-186's.

I would open up the pedal. If it opens like mine, what you will need to do is squeeze the two ends of the hinge pin, which are really two short pins with a spring separating them. The cover will then come right off without disturbing any of the wires. The spring on mine is fairly stiff. (When it snaps into place is sounds like a 22 short!) I used two nail sets to push in the pins.

I imagine there are two switches in the pedal, a Contactor to RC 4-5 and a Foot Selector to RC 4-6. Plug the pedal in and measure the voltage across the pot. Then push the pedal selector switch and see if it changes. Again, I imagine that the voltage will be 10V across the pot with the Foot Selector SW closed and 15V with the Foot Selector SW open. Reading 10V or 15V is how the machine reads the current setting from the knob or the pot. My guess is that if the voltage stays at 15V after pressing the Foot Selector, then the machine is not reading the switch. In other words, it is not connected to the 14 pin connector. Hence, it will be disabled. The Contactor will still work and give you an arc, but the machine will not read the pot and use only the current it is set at, or something like that.

Once you open the pedal and figure out the behavior of the switches the solution should plainly appear

Cheers
      Last edited by Arizona Joe; 07-21-2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I'll steal a multimeter from a friend and see what I can figure out.

Comment

Hey oconn,
          Did you find the problem yet?

Comment

No, not yet. I had to take it to a repair shop. I'm still waiting to hear from them.

Comment

Originally posted by oconn85 View Post
              New to the forum and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I've had a Diversion 180 for a few years now and it's been a good machine. Recently I decided to do a couple upgrades and added the Arc-Zone air/water cooled torch upgrade kit and the RJ45 to 14 pin adapter so I can run the same finger control and torch setup in both of my machines ( I also have an XMT 304). Well I got the torch kit installed and set the adapter up so the 14 pin plug is mounted directly into the front panel of the machine and now I don't have any amperage control. I can start the arc but when I try to increase the heat it won't go over 10 amps. I thought it was my finger control since I purchased a generic one but it works on my XMT. I switched over to the foot pedal and it still has the same problem. The only thing I really did was make a couple holes bigger and die grind the opening for the remote connector so the 14 pin plug would fit. I had to blow out some metal shavings before I put it back together but I don't think I hurt anything on the inside. I'm just trying to save some money and avoid a trip to the repair shop and fix it myself. Im not sure if the modifications I made will affect the warranty and to be honest I can't remember if I even sent the registration card in when I bought it. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
              I would go back and look again for more shavings

PLUS.... take a closer look at the mod you did for possible errors
              Last edited by H80N; 08-07-2017, 06:13 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

What was the resolution for this issue? It would help others who are having the issue.

Comment

Working...
                X