Welder settings with 5356

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welder settings with 5356

I have a MM211MVP that came with a spoolmate spool gun. There are settings for 4043 wire on the chart in the door but I have never found them (on the door, searching online...) for 5356 wire.

Does anyone know where to find them? Even a chart from another welder that shows both 4043 and 5356 settings on the same chart (so I could have some idea how to change things to get them in the right range). Stuff happens so fast with aluminum (typically feeds are maxed out...) and things are different enough from what you're used to with steel that it's hard to get things setup unless you have some idea what should be close and when you should be searching for a different problem besides welder settings.
    Mark
    (aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...)
    Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
    1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
    BFH

huh, how do you edit a post on here? When I choose edit it opens my post, will let me edit, view a preview, but if I try to save it it gives me an error message that I'm not authorized to go to that page
    Mark
    Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
    1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
    BFH

Comment

Which spoolgun? The Spoolmate 100 isn't for 5356 but the Spoolmate 150 is...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

I'm almost certain it's a spoolmate 100, whatever came as part of the package.

What's the difference?

I was having problems with it burning back the little tiny tips that it used (even with 4043) so I modified it to use the standard tips that the MIG gun uses, but I haven't experimented with it to see if it will work with 5356 yet.
        Mark
        BFH

Comment

Huh, Ok, looking at the pdf specs for both:
          - 12' vs 20' lead, that shouldn't matter
          - larger contact tips and a finned outside barrel, I've converted my 100 to larger contact tips and if the fins really make a difference I can build something.
          - Tops out at more IPM, but both say it's power source dependent, I'm not sure what that means, but this seems like it could be the only problem I would have with using my spoolmate 100.

Am I missing something?

Is there a 5356 chart for using a SM150? I haven't found one for any of the spoolmates or if it's powersource dependent a powersource chart that shows both 4043 and 5356? If I can get this to run some 5356 I save myself a lot of time and money...
          Mark
          BFH

Comment

I don't run 5356 at all so I don't know for sure. Powersource dependent means the volts that your welder puts out. Bigger is more volts. I really think the spoolmate doesn't run fast enough for the 5356. Just my thought. Didn't I do your tip conversion?...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

The SM150 is almost 100 IPM faster that must make a difference. I would get some wire and try it. Can't hurt...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                I don't run 5356 at all so I don't know for sure. Powersource dependent means the volts that your welder puts out. Bigger is more volts. I really think the spoolmate doesn't run fast enough for the 5356. Just my thought. Didn't I do your tip conversion?...Bob
                we've already had this discussion ;-) I'm the guy with the blog post about "there's some guy named Bob doing conversions that I wasn't able to find so here is how I did it"
                http://mpikas.blogspot.com/2015/02/c...-100-3035.html
                Mark
                BFH

Comment

Yup I remember now. Thanks and good luck...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

I even have a guy commenting on my blog post

"Bob was a mystery for me as well. Interesting project. The 5356 runs through the tips much better. I believe it is because the wire is stiffer. I never had it birds nest but I can't say that about the 4043. It was a pain!"

I'm guessing it needs more wire feed speed, but how much more? The difference between the spoolmate 100 and 150 is about 10% and it looks like most of the parts with the exception of the barrel end interchange. I wouldn't even be surprised if the feed speed difference is the difference in the output of the rated welders, but even if it's not I can't help but wonder if you can just adjust it for thinner aluminum (like set the feed wide open and then turn the power back a little) and then just weld like you would with a 110V welder welding >3/8" steel (I've had no problem getting good welds on heavy stuff in steel by just using a bigger, slower weave or multiple passes).

Right now I'm just trying to avoid having to use my TIG for 400' of welds, which will be unpleasant and slow compared to getting the spool gun working (even with a 30% duty cycle it will still be better MUCH faster than trying to do the same thing with an air cooled -17 TIG torch).
                    Mark
                    BFH

Comment

400", not 400'... 400' would be crazy
                      Mark
                      BFH

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                        400' would be crazy
                        Then you would fit right in here with us ...Bob
                        Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                        X