Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

weld symbols:should they always specify weld process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weld symbols:should they always specify weld process?

Hi All,
    The engineering department where I work has undertaken an effort to improve their usage of weld symbols on prints. This is sorely needed. A great debate has arisen around this though: should the weld symbols always specify the welding process to be used? The engineer in charge of the project REALLY wants to put "GMAW" or "GTAW" in the tail of each and every symbol. Most of the drafters (from what I have heard) want to leave the process decision up to the welders. There are certain things where a certain process needs to used (some things have very high visual requirements, and will always be TIG welded.) Many things don't really matter, and the welders have always just had the freedom to choose.
    Well, I am being called upon for my opinion, and I am wondering what is typical out there in the welding industry. This is the only place I have worked as a welder (other than a brief internship in a tiny company a million or so years ago), so my experience is limited. I would appreciate any input.
    Thanks! -mjc79

Usually they don't specify welding process, mainly what tensile strength is required ( example 70xx , 80xx ) . Although in a manufacturing environment where multiple welding processes are used I would certainly think it would be best to clarify.
    2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1- Blue star 185
    1- BOBCAT 250
    1- TRAILBLAZER 302
    1- MILLER DVI
    2- PASSPORT PLUS
    1- DYNASTY 200 DX
    1- DYNASTY 280 DX
    1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1- HF-251 BOX
    1- S-74D
    1- S-75DXA
    2- 12-RC SUITCASES
    1- 8-VS SUITCASE
    2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Welding process is usually not stated in a weld detail drawing. There could be more than one process that's acceptable to complete the weld, that's why the process won't be listed. The welders themselves should be familiar with the companies preferred process for each type of weld they're completing.
      Lincoln Idealarc 250
      Miller Bobcat 250
      Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
      Torchmate CNC table

Comment

The purpose of the drawing is to specifically communicate the design intent to the 'doers'.
        To avoid confusion among the troops, stating the process or selection of processes that are acceptable is wholly appropriate.
        Drawings are supposed to answer problems and questions---not raise more of the same.

Comment

The allowed processes should be spelled out in the welding procedure specifications of the design or contract plans, the "how" of the project.

​​​​ The prints are the "where" of the project.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
          Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
          "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
          "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
          "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Even if the drafters specified a process it would be from a guess at best....... Engineers......maybe.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
            X